Novice question on f stop

Bukitimah

If standard kit lens has f stop of 3.5. Would 3rd party 'prime' lens with f 2.8 makes any difference? Should one consider any thing below f 2?

[h=2]A Tedious Explanation of the f/stop[/h]The link above will explain a lot about the question. The question you asked "Would 3rd party 'prime' lens with f 2.8 makes any difference?" The difference is that the 2.8 lens would be able to shoot at a faster shutter speed for one example. A lot of time this would not make much difference but in very low light might be the difference in a good shot and a blurry one. The other example would be depth of field.
I have an old Olympus 50mm lens that is 1.2 that I used for years that I loved. Was perfect in a lot of areas.

Eye-level

Banned
Lens speed is one of those topics which generates a lot of controversy. Right off the bat I would like to say just because you have a 50/.95 doesn't mean that it is a better lens than say a 50/1.4 or 50/1.8.

Most kit lenses are slower lenses because they are zooms. Third party lenses nowadays are a very good deal because many times they do offer a bit more speed and excelent quality. Yes if you like to shoot indoors with no flash or a similiar type of lighting situation than you need speed. Speed for the most part is $$$ finally..not necessarily better.

A lot of times it is way more feasible to buy a tripod than fast glass...

Bukitimah

Thanks guy, will ready up the link. I asked because after 11 months, I feel my kit lens is great. The challenges I had are low light and ability to control dept of field at times.

With less than 1 f stop difference, I wonder how much faster can the lens be. Would good software overcome both?

ohkphoto

Snow White
With less than 1 f stop difference, I wonder how much faster can the lens be. Would good software overcome both?

Good photography skills will.

You need to really know your lens and camera and notice how often you really need that 2.8. Really work that lens until you've decided that you've outgrown it.

Bukitimah

Helene, I think I know what you means. The temptation to buy is always burning but I will try to hold and understand my needs first.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Bukitimah, I would have been out $2000 for a fantastic Nikon 1.4 lens. I kept renting it (about 3 times, a week or 10 days at a time) and could just not justify spending that amount of money. I have other fast lenses, so I began using them more often and realized I could do without that lens. Besides, we're always saying that equipment does not the photographer make, so I really needed to live by that. Oddly enough, my most favorite lenses right now are the 35mm DX 1.8 and the Sigma 10-20 mm 3.5 -- each of them cost less than $500 each.

Last edited by a moderator:
If standard kit lens has f stop of 3.5. Would 3rd party 'prime' lens with f 2.8 makes any difference? Should one consider any thing below f 2?

One should always consider lenses that go below f/2 - if DOF is something you concern yourself with.

bts74.jpg

Shot at f/1.8 with a 35mm lens.