D5100 creates a shadow when using the flash

April6750

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a D5100 and lately when I shoot with the built in flash, it leaves a shadow across the top (is shooting landscape format) or down the sides (if shooting portrait format). Can someone tell me why my camera is doing this and how to resolve the problem????

April6750

Hi Jack,
I am using my shortest lens (18-55mm) without the lens hood. Also, I just added the SB 700 and its not helping. I have read elsewhere that it my be that the shutter is not releasing properly? Any other suggestions?

April6750

Oh, and I should add that it is a rectangular shaped bar across the top or side of the photo...often it runs the length of the photo...

April6750

_DSC0134.jpg

April6750

I just took this about 5 minutes ago...you can see what I mean about the shadow. I shot this using Auto mode. In experminting with Shutter Priority mode I noticed that the slower the shutter speed the less shadow there is. The faster the shutter speed the worse it gets.

Rick M

Generally you have to shoot between 1/60 and 1/200. I can see you shot this at 1/60, is there a setting on the flash?

Last edited by a moderator:

April6750

I'm a beginner at this so bear with me. The flash is set to Auto at the moment and the photo was using the built in flash not the add on.

fotojack

This doesn't look like a flash shadow to me, as a flash shadow would be dark. Looks more like it could be a shutter sync problem. Hopefully it's still under warranty. I would suggest you take it to the dealer you bought it from, show them this picture, and see what they have to say. I'm inclined to believe it's a mechanical problem with the shutter.

fotojack

April, where are you writing from? Canada? U.S.? It would help if you would fill out the rest of your profile, telling us where you're from, what camera and lenses you have, etc. It really helps us answer any questions you might have, and in general it helps us get to know you a little better. :) Welcome to Nikonites. :)

fotojack

One more question for you guys...would you suggest an upgrade to the D7000?

I personally wouldn't, but it's your money. The D7000's have been having a spate of problems lately. Either get the store to give you a new D5100, or get a D90 if you can. Awesome camera! A proven workhorse.

April6750

I had heard that about the 7000. I'll do some research and comparision shopping between the two. Can you tell me a little about the D90?

fotojack

There are a lot of D90 users here on Nikonites. They'd be the ones to tell you more about it than I. Look up DPreview on Google and check out the reviews on it. Impressive, to say the least. There's the Nikon site itself, where you can read all about it. There's the D90 section of this forum, where their respective owners will fall all over themselves telling you about the virtues of the D90. :)

Nice to see an Alberta girl on here. :) Welcome again. :)

http://www.dpreview.com/products/co...d90&products=nikon_d7000&products=nikon_d5100

Last edited: