AE-Lock Question

Ripeart

I've begun to use the AE lock feature more and more the past few weeks. I have recently found another way of controlling the exposure, though maybe not as precise as using the AE lock button. I wanted to get your opinions and see how you folks adjust and control exposure.

Method 1 is using AE lock where you would point your camera at an area you want to obtain an exposure reading from then lock that in by manually pushing the AE-L button, and recompose.

The other method I have found is to set AF area to single point, and metering to spot. In this fashion, the camera will take an exposure reading from the focus point you select in the viewfinder.

I was curious if anyone was using the second method, which seems quicker, but may be less precise than using the first method. Or if there is another exposure control method you use, I would be interested in hearing about it.

fotojack

I just use the first method you described. Quick and easy for me on the D200. I don't know about your camera as I have never used that particular model.