External Flash/Compensation(?) question

Ripeart

Perhaps someone could help me understand what is going on, or better yet, how to set my camera to overcome the following issue:

I am shooting in P and M modes and using an SB400 external flash that is manually set to fire at 1/8 power. In this scenario, the exposure bar doesn't seem to acknowledge that I have the flash connected and turned on. If I adjust the shutter speed/ISO/F-stop so that the exposure bar indicates a "correct" exposure, (IE on or about halfway between the + and -) the resulting image is invariably overexposed. I have learned to ignore the bar and judge the exposure mentally by what the shutter speed/ISO/and F-stop settings are, which I suppose is a good thing in terms of mental acuity, but this takes some seconds and usually a couple of test shots before I dial up settings which result in a decent exposure. I would really like to be able to rely on the exposure bar indicator, though. I feel like the Flash Compensation setting is what I want to adjust however it is only available for adjusting when the external flash is disconnected. I'm certainly missing something here. :confused:

Am I out of luck with the external flash and the visual feedback of the camera? Also, when would I use exposure compensation?

Thanks in advance.

Eye-level

Banned
I used to have this old beat up Daisy BB gun...if you aimed a little low and left from what you saw in the site...wham! you'd nail whatever it was right on the money... :)

You should just give up flash altogether...hahaha

Ripeart

I hear ya, I'm on the fence about it. However I have got some fairly decent shots by bouncing the flash off the ceiling, then doing minor adjustments in Lightroom. This keeps me motivated.

Ripeart

As it turns out, Google is incredibly useful! Thanks for the interesting comment, though. :D

Mod can close thread, if your so inclined.