Sigma Art focus fine-tuning USB dock

Horoscope Fish

Lol, that will teach me to be so limited in my queries...

Okay, "and if you have tried one, what did you think? Is it worth the money?"

I have a new Sigma Art 135mm, and the focus seems to be spot on at all distances, but I'm still curious what fine tuning might accomplish.
I tried it, I liked it. It conveniently upgraded the firmware on my two Art series primes. Fine-tuning AF really sucks IMO; I hate the process (tedious!) but it's something I've done on every lens I own, both zoom and prime, and I definitely think it's worth taking the time to do and do properly. I paid good money for most of my lenses and intend to squeeze every bit of performance out of them I can.

My Art series primes went from really, really good, to freaking outstanding once the AF was adjusted for them but those were my lenses on my camera body. If you're sure your 135mm is spot-on at f/1.4 at all distances you've tested it, then I'd tell you to skip buying the Dock.

Last edited:

Blade Canyon

Hmmm... I had this idea that you could sync the lens settings to different bodies, but it looks like you can only make fine tuning adjustments to the lens, and there is no way to indicate different settings for different bodies? Also, the manner of syncing seems all manual. Did you have to figure out the adjustments yourself before "docking" the lens?

Horoscope Fish

Hmmm... I had this idea that you could sync the lens settings to different bodies, but it looks like you can only make fine tuning adjustments to the lens, and there is no way to indicate different settings for different bodies? Also, the manner of syncing seems all manual. Did you have to figure out the adjustments yourself before "docking" the lens?
You might find this article helpful: Testing Out Sigma’s Lens Calibration USB Dock and Optimization Pro Software

In short, all the testing is done manually in conjunction with the software; and the adjustments, once written to the lens, update the firmware of the lens itself.