Flash recommendation?

Boomer

I'm looking for recommendations on which model of Nikon Speedlight to get:
SB-400: $120 retail
SB-700: $330 retail
SB-900: $500 retail.

Ok, I'm really comparing the SB-400 and SB-700 unless the SB-900 also does laundry and can fix me a sandwich.

So, is the SB-700 worth almost three times the cost? It has lots of different features that look neat but I don't know enough to know if they matter.

I'm a new DSLR photographer (< 6 months) with a Nikon D3100 (Duh, the 3100 forum), the stock 18-55 and a 55-300 mm lens. I've dropped several hundred on software (Capture NX2, Lightroom, Elements). I think the built-in flash stinks for indoor photography - way to harsh even with a diffuser. Mostly looking for something to use inside (parties, holidays, pets, etc.).

I'm not interested in going pro or even commercial, just want to get good photos and I'm willing to pay for the equipment needed.

So, what do you think? SB-400 or SB-700?

fotojack

Boomer...............trust me when I tell you this..........get the SB-700 !! This a no brainer flash that you will thoroughly enjoy using, because it's so simple to use. I tell everyone it's Idiot Proof! :) You will be amazed at what you'll be able to do with this affordable flash and the accessories it comes with.

AxeMan - Rick S.

I have the SB700, only Nikon flash I have owned so can compare it to the others. With that said I'm very happy with the flash and the photos it produces. It has a 360-swivel tilt head so once it's on your camera you can put it in any position you want. No more blasting your subject with a straight on flash.

It also works with Nikons Commander mode, which means you can use it off camera and it's triggered by your on board flash, or you can use a radio control to fire it.

I like this flash so much I hoping to pick up two more and make a three light off camera set up out of them.

Bilko

It also works with Nikons Commander mode, which means you can use it off camera and it's triggered by your on board flash, or you can use a radio control to fire it.

The D3100 Doesn't have Commander mode

I'm in for new flashes, but the Nikon ones are way out of my league.

AxeMan - Rick S.

The D3100 Doesn't have Commander mode

I'm in for new flashes, but the Nikon ones are way out of my league.

Opps, my fault, should have looked at his profile before typing that.

You can find some non-Nikon flashes very cheap out there, but I don't know how reliable they are over time. I little voice in my head keeps saying: "you get what you pay for". Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Rick M

I think the SB 700 is definitely the best choice for a "do it all" large/powerful flash. The SB 400 has the advantage of small size, which is why I'm getting the SB400.

Last edited:

Berkerk

I'm curious, what advantages remain when using these flashes off camera and without Commander mode, are they just relegated to manual flashes?