I NEED A TRIPOD! quick!

warriormom

i need something that isn't going to break the bank, but also is not going to drop my camera and make me regret buying it. any ideas?

Browncoat

I would highly suggest looking @ Induro. They have good stuff that isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg. In particular, the AT013 would probably be a good fit for someone with a D90. If you're of average height, this one is tall enough and is under $100.

AxeMan - Rick S.

If I'm not mistaken, Anthony's link is JUST for the tripod. If you don't have one you're going to need a ballhead, too?

Last edited by a moderator:

warriormom

yes, that link is just for the tripod. i was stupidly thinking i would be able to buy an all-in-one that would be worth it, but no? so, now what about ballhead recommendations?

fotojack

yes, that link is just for the tripod. i was stupidly thinking i would be able to buy an all-in-one that would be worth it, but no? so, now what about ballhead recommendations?

Look at the picture of that tripod again. It has a built in screw mount for your camera. No head is necessary. It's built in.

fotojack

but doesn't look as though it offers any sort of adjustment options--just the camera sitting on top?

That is correct. However, it IS there for the camera. Naturally, a head would be preferable, such as a Manfrotto 496RC2. Here they're $100. I have no idea how much they are where you live. :)

Browncoat

...thinking i would be able to buy an all-in-one that would be worth it, but no?

Well, mom...not really, no.

If you just want a cheap tripod to get up and running quickly, go to Best Buy or Wal Mart. I should've asked about your budget before replying, so that's my fault. If you want a good tripod, the head is gonna be separate.

There are inexpensive Induro combos available. Personally, I wouldn't recommend any other brand in the "budget" price range. With the AT013 tripod, and a (decent) head, you're easily going to be in the $150-$200 range.

So, before any other recommendations are tossed around...what is your budget?

Expense is relative to the value of the gear you're supporting. I have a Manfrotto 055PROXB set of tripod legs, and use a Manfrotto 804C2 head to support my equipment.
Considering the equipment is valued at several thousand dollars, and this camera is my livelihood, I don't mind spending $300 to make sure it is secure and won't blow over easily.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Expense is relative to the value of the gear you're supporting. I have a Manfrotto 055PROXB set of tripod legs, and use a Manfrotto 804C2 head to support my equipment.
Considering the equipment is valued at several thousand dollars, and this camera is my livelihood, I don't mind spending $300 to make sure it is secure and won't blow over easily.

Was there a question?

TedG954

I understand this isn't very helpful for someone that needed a "tripod quick", but it may be helpful to someone in the market at this time.

I decided to upgrade my cheapo Albinar tripod. While it served its purpose, I decided I wanted some perks like a crank, leveling bubblers, and all metal construction.

I researched and found that the Induro and Manfrotto were excellent choices, but their pricing wasn't to my liking. I found the [pro]master brand to be an attractive alternative.

Deciding to spend my money locally (and the prices were no better on-line), I went to my local [pro]master-stocking camera store. Fortunately, the store had almost the entire line from $40 to $300+.

As the salesman explained the various features and attributes, I settled on the 7100 model. It fit all of my personal requirements and it is tall enough that I don't have to bend over to use the camera's viewfinder. At $59, I believe the 7100 is a very good value for the hobbiest, and time will tell. If it isn't what I believe it to be, Induro will be my next (final?) choice. Here are the 7100 specs....

[promaster] 7100 Tripod

Features

With a maximum height of 61", the PROMASTER 7100 tripod is the ideal choice for a basic all around tripod. It features a 3-way all metal pan head with a quick release platform. The 3-section rhombic legs are center braced and have spiked feet which allow for a sturdy balance on any surface. Its geared center column allows for easy height adjustment. A bubble level is mounted on the tripod body as well as on the head for precise positioning.

Specifications

• Maximum Working Height: 61"
• Minimum Working Height: 24"
• Maximum Load: 11 lbs. / 5 kg
• Folded Height: 25"
• Leg Diameter: 23mm
• Weight: 3 lbs. 7 oz.

This is my 7100...

View attachment 12045

Last edited:

fotojack

Just for the hell of it, I decided to post a pic of the tripods I use in different situations. Perhaps this will be of some benefit to others wondering what type of tripod or monopod to get for their purposes.

This is the Manfrotto 055 with the Manfrotto 496 RC2 ball head. This is the one I use for outdoor shots. Very heavy and sturdy.
Manfrotto 055.jpg

This would be my Hi-Ace 400 (acquired by Slik not too long ago). I use this for portrait shots and general indoor shots. Again, very sturdy and rock solid. It has the 3-way head for multiple shooting configurations.
Hi Ace.jpg

For monopods, I use these two when I'm doing a walkabout, mostly for street photography and when using the camera in shutter mode.

Benro.jpg Manfrotto 079.jpg

warriormom

thanks to all for your input. jack's is a little out of my price range at the moment, but i will check out the one you mentioned, ted. i have actually been looking at the sunpak brand, which is similar in price range, but doesn't seem as nice or sturdy as the promaster. i borrowed one from a friend and it worked very well. no one around here carries promaster, so i'd have to order it.

fotojack

thanks to all for your input. jack's is a little out of my price range at the moment, but i will check out the one you mentioned, ted. i have actually been looking at the sunpak brand, which is similar in price range, but doesn't seem as nice or sturdy as the promaster. i borrowed one from a friend and it worked very well. no one around here carries promaster, so i'd have to order it.

warriormom....let me fill you in on what I paid for these tripods and monopods. :) The first picture shows the Manfrotto 055......got it on Kijiji for $75. The Hi-Ace 400 I actually found on the side of the road out in the country......cost $0.00! :) The monopods I got on Kijiji also, ....$20 apiece. Depends where you shop, right? :) I can't afford big ticket items either, so I have to look around for bargains when and where I can. Kijiji is a kind of local eBay.

warriormom

thanks, jack. i checked it out. not much going on on my local kijiji. cool though. found the PM 711 for 59.95 w/ free shipping(!) on amazon. birthday is coming up...think i know what i'll be asking for....or getting for myself! 40th birthday should definitely deserve it!