17-35mm f2.8 what to replace it with?

Gladiator

My house got broken into and my 17-35 was stolen, along with 2 other pro lenses. in the event that me and the insurance co. Cannot find one. i\'m hesitating between the 24mm f1.4 or the 14-24mm but both are not exactly the same. any opinions

Eye-level

Banned
I'd pick the prime but I am biased towards primes don't care for zoom even though I realize the zooms definately have a place too...

24 1.4 is a whole bunch of lens...

Plus I would be watching Craigslist, pawnshops, and Ebay...

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The replacement for the Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 AFS is the Nikon 16-35mm f4 VRII. It really depends on what you shoot. The 14-24mm f2.8 and 24mm f1.4G are certainly much better in some ways.

Gladiator

Thank you, however the 16-35 would be a downgrade since i really need the speed. I really hope i can find another 17-35mm since it is a workhorse!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Thank you, however the 16-35 would be a downgrade since i really need the speed. I really hope i can find another 17-35mm since it is a workhorse!

Your post was really vague and it didn't provide enough details for people to provide you a better recommendation based on what camera you use and what you intend to shoot. I guess it's my fault for assuming that you were going to use it for landscape since the 17-35mm f2.8 is an ultra wide lens. It is obvious that you need a faster zoom lens, then the best choice is to stick to what worked for you. The other suitable alternative zoom lenses will be the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 AFS DX lens, Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 and the 24-70mm f2.8. Neither of these will work properly if you are shooting film.

Gladiator

You are quite right, i was being vague and my post lacked details, my bad. And i did appreciate your input.

I do shoot a full-frame D700 and already own the 24-80 and 70-200 VRII, so the 17-55mm DX won\'t cut it either.

I shoot pretty much anything and i realize now that i will try my hardest to find another 17-35mm because althought it could get replaces easily by the assurance company for the 12-24, the latter does not really have the same purpose, unless someone here made the switch and can give me some impression.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
You are quite right, i was being vague and my post lacked details, my bad. And i did appreciate your input.

I do shoot a full-frame D700 and already own the 24-80 and 70-200 VRII, so the 17-55mm DX won\'t cut it either.
I shoot pretty much anything and i realize now that i will try my hardest to find another 17-35mm because althought it could get replaces easily by the assurance company for the 12-24, the latter does not really have the same purpose, unless someone here made the switch and can give me some impression.

BH Photo and Adorama has the 17-35mm f2.8 in stock. 12-24mm is a DX lens, so I think you meant 14-24mm f2.8.