Shooting menu bank and custom settings bank

Blade Canyon

Just a quick warning if you try to set up your Custom Settings Bank and your Photo Shooting Menu Bank. This was something I had never used on my D800, essentially shooting in bank A all the time.

I had my D850 all set up the way I like it, then I created a Custom Settings Bank B and Shooting Bank B. Without checking, I assumed all of my "A" settings were still the same and any changes I was making would be saved as B. It turns out that when you switch to a previously unused bank in either menu, the camera essentially goes back to default settings before you make changes. In the shooting menu, for example, the "Set Picture Control" (for JPEGS) defaulted back to auto instead of the sharper, more vibrant custom setting I had created. Images were being saved to the XQD card first instead of the SD card (which freaked me out when I put the SD card in the card reader and nothing was there...).

We had a big camping party this weekend in a farm field. I created a B bank in Photo Shooting to shoot JPEG only so I wouldn't have to worry about running out of memory. (I was planning long time-lapse sequences of the stars, so I didn't want the photos to crowd the memory card.) I created a Custom Settings Bank so auto-focus would be as simple as possible so other people could take photos (instead of my normal back button focus).

Last edited: