Nikon D850 DxOMark sensor review: the first DSLR to hit 100 points

Woodyg3

Contributor
Well, the DXO overall score is a kind of arbitrary score for sensor performance, and nothing else about the camera. Still, the D850 clear does have a very nice sensor.

jay_dean

Yep, i echo all of the above really. How long before we hear, '..DxO says..', or '...but DxO says..' when people are asking about making their choices?????:rolleyes:

ISOhappy

money payed under the table. big score wows everyone. more sales and nikon makes back the money they payed dxomark.

One article about DXO (although related to phones), and they mention this:

"DxO Labs is first and foremost a consultancy. Their business model is based upon being paid to conduct analysis and optimization of imaging system performance by the companies that make those systems. DxO is not an independent journalistic entity or trade organization - it is a for-profit software consultancy for camera makers."

Maybe It's Time To Stop Letting DxOMark Decide Whose Smartphone Camera Is "Best" (Opinion)

Not to say the 850's sensor is bad or anything, but I don't really put much faith in DxO. Instead of a bunch of charts, I would rather see images from the 850 and its competitors, side-by-side, and judge them for myself.

RocketCowboy

Uh oh ...

Apparently DXO gave the Pentax 645 medium format camera a rating of 101 a couple years ago ... then forgot to post the review. That's according to the Peta Pixel Podcast I listened to on my flight tonight. Supposedly DXO will finally release that old review "any day now", and so the D850's claim to be the first to hit 100 points may be in doubt.

rocketman122

One article about DXO (although related to phones), and they mention this:

"DxO Labs is first and foremost a consultancy. Their business model is based upon being paid to conduct analysis and optimization of imaging system performance by the companies that make those systems. DxO is not an independent journalistic entity or trade organization - it is a for-profit software consultancy for camera makers."

Maybe It's Time To Stop Letting DxOMark Decide Whose Smartphone Camera Is "Best" (Opinion)

Not to say the 850's sensor is bad or anything, but I don't really put much faith in DxO. Instead of a bunch of charts, I would rather see images from the 850 and its competitors, side-by-side, and judge them for myself.

let me download full unedited jpegs and ill tell you what the camera is worth. I dont care for raw but ymmv.

Bikerbrent

Reading the above about DXO getting paid by the camera (and I would assume lens) manufacturers, I have lost all respect for their reviews. Perhaps this explains the lack the a DXO review of the Sigma 150-600mm lenses. Obviously sigma did NOT pay their required bribe! Too bad, I though this was a good source of research information prior to a purchase. I think I would look at Ken Rockwell's reviews before DXO now.