project 365 by warriormom started 11/13/2011

warriormom

so i am just starting this. i am really excited about it! in all honest, i took this one yesterday, i just didn't have time last night to get it up here, so i am probably going to post twice today--once for yesterday and once for today. her name is Cherokee-Newberry Pixie and she is blooming her head off in our greenhouse. you guys will probably see a lot of our orchid family in the next days and weeks because they are all in an extraordinary state right now and going nuts. m_DSC_0457.jpg

Attachments

• m_DSC_0457.jpg
    m_DSC_0457.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 134

fotojack

Nice shots. They seem a little on the soft side to me, and darker than I think they should be. Just my personal opinion, mind you. :) Otherwise......nice shots.

warriormom

photo of the day: 11/14/2011m_DSC_0442.jpg

Thanks fotojack for your critique. i kind of see what you mean by soft, although i'm not sure just yet how to correct that. do you mean it looks out of focus? there is an option on the d90 called 'sharpening'. do you think cranking that up high will fix that?

Carolina Photo Guy

I like this. Clean, simple and nearly monochromatic.

What software are you using for post processing?

The reason I ask is that I am using either Aperture 3 or Photoshop 7 depending on which computer I am using for post.

The Pixie picture was re-defined and slightly saturated in Aperture 3. I also kicked the exposure to where it looked right to my weak old eyes. :)

warriormom

i just downloaded the trial of lightroom 3.5 last night. been playing with it. prior to that, i would just lighten some up and change the saturation in a few in ps cs2. i guess i haven't been doing much post-processing because i've been taking the attitude of some kind of purist, you know wysiwyg kind of, i guess just thinking i should improve my shooting rather than correct my faulty images after the fact. i'm not sure if that's realistic for a beginner. i will check out irfanview. lightroom is a bit of a powerhouse and it you can end up really tweaking your photos way out there if you're not careful, just because it's fun.

warriormom

photo of the day: 11/16/2011. more rain makes for great, moist shots. this one is kind of plain. didn't have much time to wander around today, sadly. nothing extraordinary about this one-- 11-16-2011.jpg

warriormom

on that note, guys, i am researching for the purchase of a macro lens. unsure if i'm gonna go with an 85mm or 105mm. any ideas on this?

Obir

Nice shots warriormom.
My grandmother used to grow orchids as well. Don't know what kind they were, but I remember they were white with purple and yellow in the middle.
People from all over the neighborhood would drop by to glance at them.

Like you, I also do minimum (if any) post-processing and try very hard to get the shot I like the first or second try. With job, wife, baby, honey-do list, etc. I just don't have much time for it at least for now:D

Happy shooting:D

fotojack

on that note, guys, i am researching for the purchase of a macro lens. unsure if i'm gonna go with an 85mm or 105mm. any ideas on this?

Well, I've had experience with the 85 macro lens. Absolutely loved it. However, I never quite used it enough, so sold it and bought myself an 18-105 VR lens. :) Personally, if I was ever to get another macro lens, I'd get the 105, simply because of it's better reach.