Need help with a discussion topic

johnwartjr

I was recently elected vice president of my local photography club.

One of the requirements of said position is to present something technical at most meetings - can be camera related, can be computer related, etc - but it must be relevant to photography.

I usually participate in most any topic we discuss, and seem to have knowledge in a lot of areas, so I guess that is part of why I was chosen. I don't feel like I've mastered any particular topics enough to stand in front of the club and claim to be the expert of that topic - but whatever topic I want to speak about, I'm going to dive in head-first and learn everything I can about it, and be up front that I'd appreciate feedback from club members.

Our club is made up of people who are beginners, all the way to professionals. Some have expensive, high-end equipment, while others use point and push cameras. Some still shoot film, and I think some may not even own a camera, above and beyond their cell phone. So, it is a pretty broad spectrum to shoot for.

We have around 30 regular club members, and often have 5-10 new people show up at the meetings. The club was about half this size 2 years ago. I want the subject matter to be relevant, so the new people find value in it and want to return.

I expect whatever topic I will be speaking on will last about 1 hour, including questions if any are asked.

In preparation for this requirement, I sent an e-mail out to the club to solicit input, thinking the best way to find out what people want to learn about, is to simply ask. It didn't go so well, I got one response, someone saying he'd like to learn about HDR, and that topic was covered in the last year pretty well, and frankly, I'm not an expert on it. We have club members who are, and I'm going to approach a couple of them about speaking on the topic in an upcoming meeting.

But, I have a week to develop a topic. Actually, I'd like to have something put together in 3-4 days to send a powerpoint to our president and perhaps the past president for some feedback.

My hope is that after 2-3 months of good, solid topics, it will foster thought in our members, and people will start asking for more information on topic, and some of the other members will ask to speak about what they are experts in.

But, I seem to need a little 'nudge' to get the ball rolling on the first topic :)

Any suggestions? I'd sure appreciate them!

Something a lot of photographers do not fully understand and know how to use to their benefit is Depth of field. What it is, how to change it, how zoom lens affects it and how it can change the entire look of a photograph. Pretty much can be used by all of the people in the group, even the cell phone users.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Another basic topic could be about lighting --how to look for it and use it in photos; specifically back and side lighting. I'm amazed at how many people still believe that the sun needs to be behind the photographer.

Also, how to use the histogram and its importance.

Congratulations on being elected to your office :)

M.Hinch

Lots of topics available, could be using exposure compensation, understanding white balance, metering methods (when and how to use them), learning when to break the rules. Learning to use the light available, using the flash, learning your lenses and what they are capable of, long exposures, night photography, the list goes on and on.

Michael