Progress?? Another blow to professional photojournalists....

bluenoser

Banned
Saw this on another photography forum a few minutes ago....basically CNN has cut quite a few photojournalist jobs because they say consumer photo and video products have become so economical and are of such high quality that they don't need to pay people to do this job anymore - the public is doing it for them for free!

"We looked at the impact of user-generated content and social media, CNN iReporters and of course our affiliate contributions in breaking news. Consumer and pro-sumer technologies are simpler and more accessible. Small cameras are now high broadcast quality. More of this technology is in the hands of more people. After completing this analysis, CNN determined that some photojournalists will be departing the company."

Dozens of Jobs Cut at CNN; New York, Atlanta, Washington, DC, Miami, LA Staffers Pink-Slipped

Last edited:

Sambr

Bound to happen James everyone and their sister has an 8mp smartphone or it seems. Quality, doesn't seem to matter anymore. Most people want an image - not a photograph.

Browncoat

While this is somewhat true industry-wide, it's more specific to CNN. No one watches that !@#$ty network anyway. MSNBC soon to follow suit.

Stangman98

I remember this from a few months ago and I can't say that I was surprised. Yes I was disappointed that a company that calls themselves a professional news organization thinks that relying on the average point and shooter for new photos is acceptable, but it will never happen to places where it really matters like Nat Geo & Discovery. I bet SI would never do that either.

kayte

While this is somewhat true industry-wide, it's more specific to CNN. No one watches that !@#$ty network anyway. MSNBC soon to follow suit.

I agree here. CNN and a lot of these 'news' channels don't want a photograph- they want a picture, especially if it's a dramatic event. they don't care if it's 'crappy' quality, at least it is a picture and they have it as quickly as possible. and in this case, save them some bucks to probably put into something worthless.

Nat Geo and Discovery are more looking for something that stands out and I'm sure they will be one of the last ones to drop their photo journalists.

Rick M

If the public even knew what quality is, they would not get away with this. Since the public is so dumbed down now, it makes good business sense (don't mistake this comment as support, just acknowledging the reality of what is happening).

Stangman98

If the public even knew what quality is, they would not get away with this. Since the public is so dumbed down now, it makes good business sense (don't mistake this comment as support, just acknowledging the reality of what is happening).

I could not agree more. I have so many friends that think they take just as good of photos with their phone as I do with my camera. I think at least 75% of people either don't know or don't care about the quality of photos. It's sad that it has come to that. I work in an office environment and see a calendar hanging in almost every cube. People have no idea the work that goes into those photos. On top of that, the big calendar in my cube is Ansel Adams, and everyone stops and compliments me on that calendar. I don't go into detail and tell them it wasn't shot with a digital camera...Haha.

ohkphoto

Snow White
And I suspect these "pseudo-photojournalists" are signing all rights over just for the privilege of being featured or having their name mentioned.

Stangman98

And I suspect these "pseudo-photojournalists" are signing all rights over just for the privilege of being featured or having their name mentioned.

You are exactly right. They will work for free and have no rights to their photos and I bet they won't even know it.

Photowyzard

You are exactly right. They will work for free and have no rights to their photos and I bet they won't even know it.

National Geographic is one of the Predatory Rights Grabbing organization. Read the rules to any feature/contest/weekly/monthly they have on their sight where the General public can upload their photos and give their rights way forever to National Geographic the moment they press SEND. All in the hope of being, "Picture of the Week" or being "discovered" or the like. I will bet that the vast majority of the people who submit don't have a clue they have been cheated!

In regards to CNN, they are simply a sensational news station and I use the word NEWS lightly. What do they care how bad a picture is? It doesn't matter. More times than not, a local is THERE when a pro-photog isn't, so they have more access to on the spot coverage this way, the material is more exclusive and I am sure they pay nothing or next to nothing for the feed. Everyone has some form of imaging gear, phone, camera, camcorder... that any breaking news story will get covered.

Like anything else, new technology kills some jobs and creates others.

Last edited: