Hi from the North West

Status
Not open for further replies.

NW Nikon User

Hi,
I am new to photography and really excited about learning all about it. May take a while!! lol

I have a Nikon D5100, have absolutely no idea how to use it! Being honest!

I live in between Liverpool and Chester.

I can't wait to get out and take some photographs.

I may buy the "dummies" book for this camera, or can anyone suggest any other book beside the user manual that

may help a complete beginner please?

Looking forward to making new friends and learning lots!

Thank you for having me xxxxxx

jcottone45

Jack's right, you'll learn a great deal here & have fun too.!!
The only advice I have to offer: I had 33 yrs experience on Nikon film cameras, digital was a whole new ball game so I enrolled in a 1 day seminar by Nikon. It was a glorified course for dummies, but I did learn how to use the digital better than I had for the previous 2 months the D300s was in my hands. They even had a booklet on photography that helped too.!
The best learning curve though is to get out there & shoot/ trial & error, then of course I found this site & learned a great deal more. " though I am still the half assed photographer I was since the beginning.
Don't be shy, ask whatever you need to know. The guys & gals here are great & always willing to share their knowledge.!!!
Happy Shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:

gav329

Hi NW Nikon User

best of luck with the new Nikon, I'm a newbie too, just got mine 2 days ago and joined this forum today. I've been reading posts for the last month and they seem a really nice bunch so you'll get loads of help here def.

enjoy

gav:cool:

NW Nikon User

Hi everyone,
Thank you for such a warm welcome to the forum, loving it here and learning a lot by
reading previous posts too.
Look forward to speaking soon xxx :)

NW Nikon User

Good to know fotojack lol
Still haven't got a clue what I am doing with my camera but hopefully it will all just "click" one day!! hahaha
Cheers xxx :)

Berkerk

Get the detailed version of the user guide from the Nikon website, it's downloadable as a PDF and free.
I've also found Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson to be very helpful, even though it's not camera specific.
Then it comes down to posting that first "stupid" question on here and getting a wealth of friendly, knowledgeable people giving you a variety of answers.
Good luck and welcome to Nikonites.

Patrick M

Welcome :)

I also have a D5100 - great camera

Prior to that a D80, my first digital...and I did the Nikon 1 day course....great value for money and learnt a lot!

NW Nikon User

Hi Berkerk, yibel and Patrick ,
Thank you for your advice, I would rather watch instructional videos than read instructions.
Thanks for the link, I'm learning slowly haha xxx :)

seaviews

Hi from The Yorkshire Dales.

Nice to know their is someone new like me nearby. Good luck with your 5100. Before buying the Dummies book, I would just use your camera, looking at the camera guide dials. I borrowed the 5100 from my son before changing from my Nikon D90 to the 5200 .. I only bought the 5200 because it was close to the same price as yours and both had the flip out screen to help (me) when taking low level landscapes.

All the best

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.