Exposure Comp vs Flash Comp

Obir

I use my sb400 most of the time when shooting indoors and, on those few occasions when I have to dial in some compensation, I get all turned around and confused on which one to use and in what circumstances.:confused:
Is there one I should be using over the other? Does it even make a difference?

Thanks so much:D

fotojack

When using flash indoors, I usually set the EV to 1/3 or 1/2 on the negative side, after taking a test shot at +/-0 EV. Your results may vary depending on the location and available lighting and the lens used.

Obir

When using flash indoors, I usually set the EV to 1/3 or 1/2 on the negative side, after taking a test shot at +/-0 EV. Your results may vary depending on the location and available lighting and the lens used.

Thanks for your help Jack.
Is there any reason why you prefer using negative exposure comp to balance exposure vs negative flash comp? Do you find it just works best this way?
I'm just trying to understand the difference (if any):)

Last edited:

fotojack

It's just that I've been doing it this way for years, dating back to my film days. I don't know any other way! lol :)

It was taught to me by an old newspaper photographer friend. He said that flash adds much more light, so you want to compensate by going darker. Makes sense when you think about it. Again, though, it depends on the reasons I stated earlier. This isn't carved in stone, it's just experience from a lot of trial and error learning. :)

Eye-level

Banned
On old Nikon manual focus cameras that have light meters such as the F2 and FE there are exposure compensating rings or scales...they change the ASA basically I think...on the F2 you compensate for what type of viewfinder screen you are using...on the FE you compensate for what type of film you are using...very different from what you all are talking about...flash is a crazy ballgame for me! :)