Newbie needs help

Marine1937

Hello all,
I'm glad to be part of your (our) community. I've been checking out the forums and there's some great information and photos, I think I'm going to have fun, while learning a lot at the same time.
I'm fairly new to a lot of this, new to photography, new to forums, posting messages, etc. I was really interested in the recent alphabet challenge. I figured this would be a great introduction to this site and all the challenges that went along with trying to produce a worthy entry. This challenge was hard, time consuming, and fun, and I look forward to participation in many more. I wish I could have uploaded, I think I had some interesting photos, for my first attempt at something like this, and would have like for all of you to see and critique.
I do have a couple of questions.
First, I did finish the challenge late last night and when I tried to submit my entry I received a message that my file size was too large, 2.2 Mb. How do I get file size down? I looked at many of my photos and just about all of them exceed the forum limit. I currently shoot RAW and convert to JPG.
Second, any ideas on what software is used to do the assembly of the alphabet entries. I used Picasa 3, which is okay, but has limitations. I had a really hard time getting the photos aligned without severe cropping issues, resizing, etc. Any suggestions?
Thanks and I look forward to gaining friendships, seeing some great photography, and learning from those that know a whole lot more than I.

Last edited by a moderator:

Browncoat

Welcome to the site!

You should re-size your photo submissions so they are no larger than 600x800. This keeps the file size small enough so that people with slower connections can still load all the photos that may be in a thread.