Thought you Pros might like this link :)

JulianK

I'm a professional fashion & advertising photographer, I can never shoot commercially for free. The times I do give sets away for free are only when I test. Fashion photographers need to test regularly with talented models and stylists in order to demonstrate the standard of work they can produce when client restrictions are not involved - we build a lot of our portfolios from testing. Those test shots tend to attract commercial clients more than the work we have done for previous clients, basically because the test shots are better.
During a test shoot, as with every shoot, the models sign full and binding release and indemnity contracts which means that even shots gained from a test can be used in any way I choose, I can still sell them. Models and creative crew typically receive a set of shots for free for their books (not for commercial use) in return for working on the test, that's standard.
So throughout the year I give out several sets for "free" to models and stylists, they can't use them commercially but I can. In the professional fashion world everyone is happy with this arrangement. There's one more upside to testing - the models and creatives tend to get the test shots published in magazines, that's of great value to everyone involved.