settings on D5500

oldguyrich

On the Set Picture control tab, standard, you have quick adjust, sharpening,Clarity so forth. what do you commonly ser all of these too? Thanks

Last edited:
On the Set Picture control tab, standard, you have quick adjust, sharpening,Clarity so forth. what do you commonly ser all of these too? Thanks

These are generally only set if you are shooting JPEG

If you are shooting JPG I would suggest that you use the Fine>>Large setting and also set your camera for better sharpness.

Go into your Menus and highlight the "Shooting" menu (the camera icon)

Drop down to "Picture Controls" and click right one time.

From here, highlight "Standard" and then click right one time.

From this settings menu, increase the "Sharpness" setting to "7".

Drop down and increase the "Saturation" setting +1 notch on the slider.

Press "OK" to exit the menus and you're done.

Horoscope Fish

I adjust Sharpening to +7 and Saturation to +1; the rest I leave at their defaults. Really, though, it's a matter of personal taste.

Horoscope Fish

Great. I'll give those a try. Thanks
I'll just suggest playing with the Clarity setting to see what you think; Clarity is a sort of Midtone "punch" which you may, or may not, like. Again, personal taste. But you can always go back and reset any setting at any time so nothing to worry about if you don't like how your photos are turning out after making an adjustment.

oldguyrich

I normally shoot jpeg. I occasionally shoot raw, but since top quality isn't needed in most of my shots, I shot jpeg, and use Photoshop, or picassa. In the old days I shot everything raw. not worth the effort normally.

mikew_RIP

One option open to you after you get the jpeg settings where you want them is to shoot raw,do the initial download into Viewnx,this will show jpegs with the camera settings which can be resized and saved out as is or tweaked in viewnx,if any need extra work openinig them in photoshop opens the original raw image.