D500 and heavy-ish lens

mikew_RIP

Just waiting for my Sigma 100-400 lens to go on the D500 but they dont make a tripod collar for it,not a problem as far as tripods are concerned as i never use them,my concern is with the camera lens mount and tripod bush.

The 100-400 weighs 1160g the Nikon 24-70 f2.8e is 1070g and doesnt have a tripod mount so not a lot of difference but the 100-400 is longer so perhaps more stress,i can hold it so most of the time there is no stress on the camera lens mount but carrying it is a different story.

Two choices for carrying i can use my black rapid sport fixed to the camera tripod bush and again most of the time it would be cupped in my hand on the lens as it hangs at my side,it would though sometimes be hanging lens down for a short period.
Do you think the tripod bush would take this strain.

The second choice is the standard camera strap which would relieve the stress on the tripod bush but not on the camera lens mount,this strap would not be my first choice as i hate carrying cameras in front of me, if i used it across my body like the black rapid it is not easy to get it to your eye quickly in the winter when you have bulky clothes on.

As you can see from the image the tripod bush and lens mount are only fixed to plasicparts and not part of the Chassis,not even sure the strap luggsare better fixed.

ZPR-nikon_d500-explode.JPG

What are your thoughts on this and is there a different carrying system i have not thought of.

jay_dean

I suppose it depends how it balances when attached to you BR strap. The 24-70 will be fine, it doesn't pull the camera down, not sure about that other lens tho

Daniel Aegerter

I also have a BR strap attached to the tripod thread on the camera.
Don't like the standard strap for the same reason as you: to awkward and slow.
The two lenses I most use are the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8 Nikons.
I haven't had any issues (yet?) with the weight of the camera and lens acting on the thread.

mikew_RIP

I also have a BR strap attached to the tripod thread on the camera.
Don't like the standard strap for the same reason as you: to awkward and slow.
The two lenses I most use are the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8 Nikons.
I haven't had any issues (yet?) with the weight of the camera and lens acting on the thread.

Thanks that good to know,the 70-200 is heavier than the 100-400.

Blacktop

Thanks that good to know,the 70-200 is heavier than the 100-400.

I'm not sure how heavy the 100-400 is compared to the 70-300VR, but I used to carry that with the BR attached to the camera. I carry the 70-200 with thee BR attached to the lens.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I can't stand having the camera at my side, and much prefer it in front with a standard strap. Yes, I use the one that comes with the camera. I know this is very uncomfortable for some people, but I have been carrying cameras this way for 50 years, so I suppose it's a familiarity thing. The camera being right in front of me permits for putting it to my eye faster than any other method I've tried, as well. Again, though, this might be a familiarity thing.

Anyway, that's how I carry my D500 whether it's got the 150-600 Tamzooka or any other lens on it. I usually have the lens cupped in my hand as I walk so it's doesn't flop around.

Roy1961

Contributor
i see a guy carrying his 150-500 sigma on his D7000 on the camera mounts, i tell him i read this was not recommended. Two years it has been like this.

spb_stan

A 70-200 2.8 is asking for trouble supported by the lens mount alone when not supported by a firm hand. It is long enough the polar moment exerts a lot more pressure on the mount than a shorter lens of the same weight. I used a Black Rapid and attach the 70-200 on the tripod mount so the balance point is easy on the camera and riding parallel to the ground. I also have a hand-strap that is just loose enough to instantly slip my hand in if there is uneven walking surfaces or where I have to move fast I have used it that way since my first DSLR after switching from film, when the D90 came out. When shooting, with proper left hand support at the balance point, almost no stress is transmitted to the camera. When I switch a shorter lens like a prime, I clip the BR to the grip's tripod mount. But there again, most of the weight is supported by my hand in the hand strap.
If your camera is under warranty the service department has every right to deny coverage for broken lens mounts if is appears to have been stressed by improper lens handling.