New Tripod and ballhead: I hope it can deliver.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Just splurge a little over $1k on a tripod and ballhead excluding the camera and lens plates. This is getting more expensive than what I had planned. What was I thinking?:confused: I hope it's all worth the investment. All I need to do now is improve my skill(s). :( Good luck on that one. :rolleyes:

Gitzo GT3531S and Arca Swiss Z1 ballhead

Gitzo_Arca_Z1.jpg

gqtuazon

Gear Head
wow, nice combination you got there Glenn.

Glenn, whats the capacity of this ballhead?
I have the RRS BH55 BH-55 LR: Full-sized ballhead with LR - BH-55-LR - Kit Configuration Page

Thanks Ranie. According to the specs, it can hold up to 59 kg or 130 lbs. It is pretty solid and can easily handle my Nikon 70-200mm with ease. It performed very well according to the reviews that I have read against the RRS BH55, Kirk BH-1 and Markins Q20. RRS BH 55 has a 50lb or 23kg capacity.

I had several tripods that I wanted to get such as the RRS TVC-34L which performed well based on the Luminous Landscape review and even considered the Sachtler tripod and fluid head.

Is this the world's best tripod?

Unfortunately, getting the RRS tripod requires buying the kit which includes the RRS BH 55 since they are out of stock. I think my rig is a decent rig which can accommodate any future purchases.

Last edited:

Ranie

Glen - I think "decent" is an understatement.
Your set-up, most people only dream of. Unfortunately, tripods are one of the camera auxiliary gears that most people skimp.
Some think its ridiculous to spend almost if not more than the price of an entry level DSLR.

Eye-level

Banned
Excellent and handsome sir!

So are we planning some serious slow shutter speed manual focus stuff??? :)

You know I am a devoted follower of Tokyo Camera Style and from as far as I can tell a D700 on a $1000 tripod is like entry level gear in Japan... :O

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Excellent and handsome sir!

So are we planning some serious slow shutter speed manual focus stuff??? :)

You know I am a devoted follower of Tokyo Camera Style and from as far as I can tell a D700 on a $1000 tripod is like entry level gear in Japan... :O

Thanks! I frequently do shoot long exposure at night. My previous ballhead and tripod was just not good enough to prevent my camera and lens from creeping when positioned other than it's sweet spot. With this new combo, it's just plain solid and a joy to use. Once it's locked in, the set-up will not move at all.