Live View--aperture change-- noise

Dawg Pics

Can anybody please check your D500 and let me know if you can hear a thinking/springy noise when you dial the aperture? Mine makes a noise with every stop change. It does not do this when it is in normal view, and it does it with both all of the lenses I tried.

I also tried with Mirror Up since the mirror is up for live view, but there isn't a noise in that mode.

Thanks

Blacktop

Can anybody please check your D500 and let me know if you can hear a thinking/springy noise when you dial the aperture? Mine makes a noise with every stop change. It does not do this when it is in normal view, and it does it with both all of the lenses I tried.

I also tried with Mirror Up since the mirror is up for live view, but there isn't a noise in that mode.

Thanks
I just checked and can confirm. Nothing wrong with your cam. Also does it on my D750.

Dawg Pics

You seem to be very nervous about your new camera. :playful:

;). I am pretty persnickety about everything. If it makes a noise, I want to know why. It is what happens when you are raised by an engineer.

Right now, I am trying to figure out why there is a spastic yellow square in live view as well.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Most consumer Nikons do not allow you to actively adjust aperture in Live View, which the D500 and other more expensive models do. In other words, when you go into Live View with consumer models you cannot see the depth of field changes as you change aperture, that is done at the time the shutter is pressed. With the D500 it's WYSIWYG, so what you're hearing is the actual opening and closing of the aperture blades. In regular mode you have maximum aperture until you press either the shutter or depth of field preview, when the aperture chosen is sent to the lens and the blades move.