Red glow in viewfinder

Archr0y

Hi All,

So I decided to upgrade to a D500 from my old D7100, and I have a small annoyance.

When I half-press the shutter (ie focusing), the entire viewfinder faintly glows red, along with the illuminated focus point. This is quite distracting. The camera is brand new, no settings changed out of the box. I have tried factory reset.

I did do some googling, and there are a handful of posts where people have observed the same issues (D700,D750,D800), and even the D500.
So my question is, does anyone else encounter this? Is it a fault affecting a tiny percentage of D500s? Is it not a fault at all, just a design feature of the viewfinder/focus illumination?

If other people say that their D500 also does this, then I'm fine with it.

Cheers,
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackdoorArts

If you have "Focus Point Illumination" turned on it will flash red when the background is dark as it assumes you want to see the point and red will show up better than the black point you get with a lighter background. Feature, not an issue. Not a problem.

Archr0y

That's fair enough then, thanks.

I guess the amount of illumination is much more than I would expect, it is certainly many times brighter than on my 7100.

Maybe I was expecting the 500 to feel a bit more 'familiar', just found it a bit jarring at first.

Otherwise, it's a bit of a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk