Advice... Beginner & lost.

Claudia!

Hi Everyone.

I have been reading various topics on the site for the past two hours. I have been trying to do my research before making a purchase. I have been interested in a Nikon DSLR for a while now. I had it narrowed down to the d300s and the d7000. I was leaning towards the d300s but now I am leaning towards the d7000. I have noticed that it has similar features but it also offers a lot more that fits my wants. The price is great as well! My problem is that I really do not understand how to read the features. I have compared both cameras on nikonusa.com. I understand half of the things but not all of it. Could someone help me out on what to look for? What makes a camera better than the other. I am posting on here because I am more interested in the d7000. I really would like to know more about this camera and what I am reading about.

For example, I understand what ISO sensitivity is. My problem comes into effect when they begin adding numbers. Is it the higher the number the better the quality? Does this apply to all features? The d7000 has ISO 100-6400 while the d300s has ISO 200-3200. Which is better and why? Certain cameras have 6 FPS while others have 7 FPS. Which is best? Is 16.2 million pixels better than 12.3 million? Why does the sensor size matter? Are higher numbers better? The storage media on the d300s includes CompactFlash (Type I/II, compliant with UDMA). What is this exactly? Any extra details that you can explain to help me know what to look for would be great!

As you can tell, I am a beginner. I want to know what I am looking into. I have read different posts but overall, I think I just need to post on here all my questions. I feel like I am rambling. I do want to make a choice based on price and assuming that I know what I am talking about when I really do not have a clue. I don't want to make an unconscious purchase. I want to make a smart purchase. As well, this is a big investment for me. I love taking pictures but have yet to step into the professional or semi-pro field. I do it more as a hobby but would love to learn to take better pictures but I need a better DSLR. I have mainly had digital cameras. I own the coolpix s8100 (which i love). As I have read, it is not so much about the camera but the skills the photographer has. I just want to make sure I have the right equipment to start learning about my new hobby. I plan to improve on my skills with one of these cameras. I know I am just a beginner but I am going to have it for a long time and plan to build on my skills with it. I know it is going to take a lot of time to learn about it but I am willing to invest time into it. I plan to buy one of these cameras and have it for years to come. I don't plan on buying another one for a few years so I want to make sure I get the right one. As well, I want to know that when I buy it, I am starting off on a good note. Sorry for sounding like such a beginner but I really want to understand how to read these comparisons. Sorry for rambling.... I just have so many questions. Thank you!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Claudia,

I'll start by saying that both the D300s and the D7000 are excellent cameras. The D7000 is newer technology and has a little more definition (higher MegaPixels) and has more low light capabilities (iso 6400 compared to 3200, higher means better but the image quality might suffer too).

On the other hand, D300s is considered "Pro" as it has more frame per seconds, a better focus for sports and actions shots. But it is also heavier.

In normal daylight conditions, the image quality of both is "almost" equal, so it will be for you a question of personal preference. One thing you didn't mention in your post is what you will be taking pictures of. This could make a difference in your choice. Will you use the camera for travel pictures, hiking, portraits, landscape???

The one thing I would advice you to do is, go to a camera shop, hold both models in your hand for a while and see which one feels better in your hands. This is one of the most important aspect of buying a camera. As much as your hands might get accustomed to the camera, one might just feel better from the start.

And, if your planning on getting it, try to get it soon since the recent flooding in Thailand is starting to affect the stocks and the production has halted for a while.

Good luck with your purchase.

Oh, one more thing, if you can buy it locally it might cost you a little bit more than from the net, but you'll gain with service and questions about the camera that might arise after a while. In my opinion, it's better to get it from a local camera shop.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Welcome to the site. Don't worry about asking a lot of questions. We have a fine group of people here that are willing to help. Don't think you'll find a better group out there. I might be able to help you out on your choice by pointing out on the D300, you have to set your own settings. You're in full manual mode all the time. There is no "auto mode" as far as I know. The D7000 has an auto mode. You say you're a beginner. In my opinion, if you were to buy the D300 I see you having a frustrating time trying to get the settings right to get the shots you're looking for. If I were you and had to choose between the two I would go with D7000 and use it in auto mode and take notes on how the camera sets itself for different lighting conditions. A good way to learn this is to set up your shot in auto, see what the camera "thinks" your setting should be, then switch to manual and match those settings and adjust them from there. By doing this, in time you will learn a starting point for your shot, and you can start using manual mode all the time. Once you master manual mode then you're ready to advance to a full manual camera like the D300. I'm sure others will give you feedback on some of your other question you have asked. As for taking better pictures, you have to get out there and shoot, and keep on shooting. There is no switch or setting or one camera that is going to make you better. Your camera is just a tool and you have to learn to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

emoxley

Hey Claudia. Welcome. I'm fairly new to this forum too.
I have to agree with Axeman. Shoot in Auto mode to start with, and pay attention to the settings the camera uses for the pics that you like how they turned out. Read all you can also, especially the camera's manual. If your local community college has a digital photography course at night, take it. I did, and it helped a lot. I knew a good bit about 35mm photography, back in the 70s, but had been away from it for a very long time. Digital is a whole new world, and I felt like I was starting from scratch again. I've had my D7000 for a year now, and love it! I haven't used the Auto mode in 7-8 months. I mostly use Aperture Priority mode. I think most people do too. Learning to use the aperture is one of the most important things to learn and understand, because it can be very confusing. You set this depending on the kind of depth of field (DOF) you want (what's going to be out of focus and in focus). This is where the class will help a lot, and reading books. The basic rules are the same for aperture, whether using digital or film, so even reading an older book will help. I say this because our public library doesn't have many books on digital photography, and your's may not either.

The D7000 is one of the best with low light situations, which is where the higher ISO comes into play. If you shoot a picture inside at ISO 6400, without using a flash, the picture should come out very usable. As mentioned, the picture quality may suffer a little, but not that much. The picture should come out better than the same picture taken with other cameras, using the same settings.

The higher fps is really most important when photographing sports or moving objects. I keep my camera set on 4 fps about 98% of the time. You can still take just one frame at a time with that setting, once you get the feel of the shutter button. I use the 4 fps even when doing a portrait shot. Then you're more likely to get a good shot, with the person's eyes open.

Even though someone called the D300s a Pro camera, it's still a crop sensor camera. I think most pros use full frame cameras (D700, D3, D3s, D3x). Then, you're getting into the really expensive DSLRs. A lot of pros use a D300s as a backup camera, in case something happens to their main camera during a shoot.

In case you're not familiar with full frame and crop sensor......
A full frame camera has a sensor the same size as a 35mm film's frame.
A crop sensor camera has a 1.5 crop factor sensor (smaller than FF). In other words, if you put a 50mm lens on a crop sensor camera, it's not really 50mm. It's equivalent to a 75mm lens. A 100mm lens is equivalent to a 150mm lens. You need to take this into account when buying lenses. On a full frame camera, a 50mm lens is a 50mm lens. A 100mm lens is a 100mm lens.

I hope I've helped a little bit. There's a lot to grasp and remember. It will eventually "click", and you'll be busy taking a lot of "good" pictures. If you go with the D7000, this digitutor will help to learn the camera itself. I had to watch it over and over and over, until the info began to stick with me.
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor | D7000
Move your cursor over the list on the left side, and there's videos to watch. It's a lot of help. Good luck with whatever you decide on. :)

fotojack

Axeman is right in that the D300 doesn't have an Auto mode, but it does have a Program mode. YOU program in the parameters you want, which in effect turns it into your own personal Auto mode. All the other remarks made by Axeman and emoxley are right on the button. Good luck in your choice. Let us know your final decision.....and if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We'd be happy to help. :)

Claudia!

Everyone was right, ya'll are wonderful. I plan to use my camera for just about every use it has. I plan to learn it's ins and outs and hopefully have the qualities and skills as a pro... one day. Everyone helped me understand it better. Does 6 fps compared to 7 fps really make a difference? Auto mode matters but to an extent. It matters only when I am starting off. I don't plan on relying on this feature down the road.

Emoxely, you mentioned lenses. I plan to invest in lenses as well. Am I able to use any lense for both cameras or are there certain lenses that do not work properly with that model. Of the two cameras I mentioned, is one a full frame and another a crop sensor?

I spent about 6 hours online last night doing research and comparing. I read a lot but I did not necessarily understand what I was reading, that is why I came here. This forum has so much insight and advice. It's just what I was looking for. I have held both cameras and tested them out over the last few months. I have been looking into both of these cameras for about 3 months now. I told myself that I needed to make a choice by black Friday. I want to get a good deal. The camera price won't change but at best buy they most likely will be offering a package that includes the camera, kit and an extra lens or other accessories. I was there yesterday playing with both cameras again. I felt right with the d7000. It felt good in my hands. The d300s felt good but not as much. My main issue is that once I learn how to use it, I don't want to feel like I should have gotten the one in the higher bracket because it offers more or will give me more usage or more to learn in the long run. As I mentioned, I plan to make this camera last a long time but I want it to be all that I need and want. I still am leaning towards the d7000 but my previous statement is why I am leaning towards the d300s. The price difference matters but then again it's only about 300.

Thank you everyone.

JoeLewisPhotography

The frames per second is only going to matter if you shoot sports or anything fast moving, and if you shoot in JPG. Otherwise, 1 FPS difference isn't THAT much.

Any Nikon lens will work with either body. Both bodies are crop sensor, the D700, D3, D3S, D3X are FX or full frame.

The difference is this (simply put)...say you have a 50mm lens...In a FX or full frame camera, that 50mm is a TRUE 50mm focal length, where a DX/crop sensor, the same lens is more like 75mm. Full frames also have larger pixels, resulting in better low light (high ISO) performance.

Funny that you found the D700 to be more comfortable in your hand than the D300s, as the D300s is known for its "comfort" being a wider body.

I went back and forth for a month before deciding on the D300s. it just had more for ME. keep in mind the magnesium (metal) body of the D300s, as opposed t the mostly plastic D7000....and better weather proofing as well.

Personally, I think a D300s would take you further, but may pose a bit of a challenge to get started on (no auto mode), and the D7000 is a great starter, but may limit you a bit when you get more serious.

If it makes your decision easier...I am selling my D300s....gently used for an awesome price (check classified section)

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
Well see there all the more reason to buy a Nikon instead of a Canon...what kind of dumbo would come up with a crop factor of 1.6? LOL

Browncoat

Welcome to the site, Claudia. :)

It's easy to get confused as to what all these numbers mean when comparing camera specs. The D300s and D7000 are close together in Nikon's product lineup, but they are still very different cameras. The D300s is at the low end of the "pro" spectrum, while the D7000 is Nikon's top "consumer" model.

Don't get too hung up on stats and numbers. Joe hit the nail right on the head. The D300s is a lot more camera for your money, but the learning curve for you as a new photographer is going to be much steeper due to the lack of Auto modes. If you buy the D7000s, you may find yourself wishing you had something more down the road.

You won't be disappointed with either choice. Definitely check out Joe's D300s for sale...that's a good price.

Claudia!

I found it to be more comfortable because I have small hands. At first I was into the d300s but the grip was not the right fit for me so I kept on looking. I wanted something that I could hold on to right. This has always been one of my issues with anything in general, such as my handgun. I had to go for the smaller model because of better grip. They both had the same details but one was a bit smaller than the other. Both cameras felt comfortable as far as how the material and body felt. It really came down to the size. My hand and fingers are small so those few mms make a difference in my hand especially when trying to change settings or maneuver my fingers quickly. That little amount of space goes a long way. I love both cameras so it's such a hard choice but i think I am leaning towards the d7000. I think down the road I will invest into a more expensive camera when I have it all down. I'll probably have the d7000 as my back up. If not, I can always sell it. I just don't want to get ahead of myself from the start. You explained everything in clear terms and put it into a way that I understood. Sometimes it's easier to put it into simpler terms. Thank you.

Claudia!

That is why I wanted the d300s. I felt that all it offered for that price was great but being a beginner, I began to question my choice. I looked into his camera yesterday by coincidence. If I don't go with the d7000, then that is definitely a great deal. I don't think I will need all that much camera for right now or within the next year or so. In the mean time, I can learn everything and take it a shot at a time. Once I am ready to move up in the camera world, I might really invest into something in the pro-section. I am mainly focused on finding what is right for me and what would suit me for years to come. Once I'm ready for more camera, I think I'll look into a higher priced model. I believe either choice is great. They both are great models. I just think I am focusing too much on the details, price, similarities and differences and not what is good for me overall. I think I am more prepared now to make the right choice that is good for me. Ya'll all helped me out! Great answers and great ways of explaining everything.

Claudia!

I am looking at zoom lens. I am taking a trip to NY in a month and a half so I want to go prepared. What lens would y'all recommend for the d7000. I don't want to spend too much. I don't want to go above 350 but I will consider close to 500 if it's really worth it.

emoxley

I am looking at zoom lens. I am taking a trip to NY in a month and a half so I want to go prepared. What lens would ya'll recommend for the d7000. I don't want to spend too much. I don't want to go above 350 but I will consider close to 500 if it's really worth it.
Both B&H Photo and Adorama are in NYC. These are two of the places most people buy photo gear from online. I'd love to go in their stores.

I have a Tamron 70-300mm VC lens that I love. It's very sharp, fast AF, and very fast VC (vibration compensation). I bought it mainly for wildlife shots, but it stays on my camera 98% of the time. I got mine from Amazon.com. They have it for $449, the same I paid. Tamron is giving a $50 mail-in rebate, so the price ends up being $399. http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320672137&sr=1-3 It took maybe 2-3 weeks to get my rebate. Make sure you send them everything they ask for.
Good luck with whatever you buy.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I am looking at zoom lens. I am taking a trip to NY in a month and a half so I want to go prepared. What lens would ya'll recommend for the d7000. I don't want to spend too much. I don't want to go above 350 but I will consider close to 500 if it's really worth it.

Well Claudia, since you said you were beginning photography, I'd recommend you get the 18-105 lens that comes with the D7000 AND the 50 1.8 for low light situations and occasional portrait. One thing you never mentioned in your original post is what will be your subjects… It makes all the difference in the world when it comes to lens choice. Whether it is available light portraits, landscapes, sports, all these subjects would call for a different type of lens.

This is why maybe you could start at the beginning by learning how to use the camera with the standard zoom that comes with it. It is a fine lens and will give you nice results. After that, you might know a little more about your needs.

JoeLewisPhotography

You are the second one to say this. Explain yourself please. What could she want that the D7000 isn't capable of, except full frame, and the D300s isn't that either? Thanks.

to name a few...

1) Faster continuous shooting speed 7fps vs. 6fps (not a big deal, but it is still an advantage)
2) Bigger buffer 100 pics vs. 22 pics before the camera starts to slow down
3) Better autofocus 51 vs 39 focusing points
4) FULL Magnesium body vs partial.
5) better weatherproofing
6) The D300S can use commander mode in Nikon's CLS to command three flash groups. The D7000 can only command two flash groups.
7) The D300S uses CF and SD cards, giving the user more options when choosing memory formats. It is also handy if you own other cameras that use CF cards.
8) The D300S has a 10-pin terminal for use with certain accessories. The D7000 does not.
9) The D300S can do nine frame bracketing. The D7000 can do three.
10) The D300S has an AF-On button. This is useful for shooting "focus and recompose" style. You can assign a button to act as the AF-On button on the D7000, but this comes at the loss of the original function of said button.
11) More options/buttons at your finger tips, and less "menu" hunting.