Minolta srt 201 veiwfinder

Bh125126

I recently bought a minolta srt 201 and i noticed that the follower in the veiwfinder doesnt go all the way down. It stops about a cm above the battery check mark. I just want to know if this is normal or if there is something i can do to fix this. I'm kind of new to film photography but i have used cameras that had the needle go all the way down. Thank you.

Samo

First of all that camera requires a mercury battery that is no longer legal. The work around is a Wein cell. Problem with those are they go south fast and they leak. You can use a modern battery but the meter will be off and you must compensate.

Match needle systems are great. I prefer them myself. I have seen a whole lot of film cameras in my time. Nikon is one of the few brands that I have seen that the match needle systems just work. Pentax I have seen a gazillion K1000 models that work beautifully except the needle is broken. Other cameras the same.

Is the camera light tight? Resealed? Any evidence of fungus anywhere? Have you popped off the bottom?

In case you are wondering what happened to the mind of Minolta well Sony bought it for the mount tech.

On some Nikon cameras there is a resistor ring that allows the meter to function. If this ring goes bad no meter. Dead. I am not certain but Minolta is likely the same deal.

Rokkors are really nice lenses btw.

Last edited:

Bh125126

The problem isnt the needle that needs a battery to work, its the follower needle. Btw i bought a 625a duracell which seems to work. I guess the follower needle seems to be callibrated incorrectly if that makes sense.

I recently bought a minolta srt 201 and i noticed that the follower in the veiwfinder doesnt go all the way down. It stops about a cm above the battery check mark. I just want to know if this is normal or if there is something i can do to fix this. I'm kind of new to film photography but i have used cameras that had the needle go all the way down. Thank you.

This is a Nikon Forum so you might be better off to find a Minolta Forum. They would probably be able to help you more.

Samo

Okay the follower needle got it. Do not know on the Minolta but it seems logical to me that if it moves through its entire range and does so easily, back and forth, and so on then you should be good to go. That metering system will be off though because of the difference in battery voltage.