Anyone Using DeoxIT D100? :: I'm Pretty Impressed ::

Horoscope Fish

So the other day I discover I'm nearly out of gaffers tape and so, not being in the habit paying for that which can be had for free, I wandered over to the big theater here on the campus where I work in search of Theater Geeks. TG's are typically awash in brand-name gaffers tape and usually part with it easily. It was here I was introduced to a product I had not previously heard of called DeoxIT. They extolled the virtues of DeoxIT for some time but I figured much of what I was hearing was hyperbole, as TG's, in my experience, are somewhat prone to. Still, they spiffed me a (tiny!) bottle of the stuff (along with not one, but two rolls of that sweet, sweet, 3" gaffers tape) and told me I'd be be back, thanking them profusely.

So, the product, DeoxIT-100, bills itself as a "metal electric connection cleaner, enhancer, and lubricant". The TG's referred to it as, "damn near miraculous." As instructed I applied a tiny bit of this stuff to a microfiber cloth and sat down to clean the contacts on my camera bodies and lenses. Before cleaning them, every contact appeared quite clean and shiny to me; nothing appeared visible to the naked eye, not even with my readers on. This being the case I was VERY surprised to see how much brown and green "gunk" came off of every set of contacts DeoxIT touched. After wiping down the contacts specifically, I wiped down the rest of the mount. Very little residue came from this, but there was some.

Now, that being said, I can't say any miracles occurred. Nothing fantastical happened to my camera bodies or lenses after using DexoIT but neither has anything else I've used showed the kind of result DeoxIT did. And again, every contact appeared to me to be perfectly clean to begin with. I tested DeoxIT directly on the plastic of my lenses and I got nothing from it; so it's not doing anything to the plastic that I can tell; all the gunk I saw came from the contacts themselves and too a less degree from the rest of the bayonet. Maybe some other product works just as well but my TG's swear up and down DeoxIT is the best thing for electrical contacts since sliced bread.

For anyone interested here's the exact product I have: DeoxIT D100. The bottle is really small (7.4ml is .25oz) but a tiny bit goes a long way. This one bottle is enough product to last me for years. Based on my experience I'm very impressed. If you're in the market for something to clean your camera/lens contacts I think DeoxIT is worth considering.

nikonpup

1-Amazon.com CAIG DeOxIT D100 Power Booster Metal Electric Connection Cleaner, Enhancer, and Lub.jpg

nickt

I use it. I've never used it on the cameras, but I use it on many things. I'd be cautious not to use too much for fear that it may creep somewhere it should not be since it is a little oily. If you use a tiny amount, it should not be a problem. That said, this stuff is great on problem contacts. I use it on everything that uses button cell batteries because they are a constant pain. I have several measuring tools that use button cells and I would always need to remove the battery cover and wiggle the battery every time I needed to use them. No more of that using deoxit. Also other problem battery operated devices like tv remotes that need to be smacked on occasion to get them working. If you have ever had batteries leak in a device and ruin the plating on the contacts, this stuff will keep the damaged contacts from being an ongoing problem.

weebee

I have used it at work to clean various contacts. Works very well. I use the spray version though. I've never used it for my cameras though. Not a bad idea.