buying a D7000

simonhodge

Hi,

I'm getting very close to buying my first Nikon and have decided on a D7000. I currently have a Sony A200 and feel its time to step up and changing to Nikon is the right think for me though i know many people will be against changing brands.

What i'm looking help with is lens advise. I recently shot a wedding using the Sony and really struggled getting what i wanted inside due to the poor light. I know this was down to poor lens and flash and that the A200 is not the hotest DSLR out there. I know the D7000 will be much better shooting in low light but i also now know the value of a decent flash. So that aside its down to lens. I am thinking a Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 but have heard great reviews of the Nikon 17-200mm F3.5-5.6. Obviously the Sigma will be better in low light but what i am wondering will the D7000's ability to shot in low light actually make the 17-200 ok or should i go for the Sigma? Price they are about the same but obviously the Nikon has a much better range.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Simon

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Yep, I would say if you're worried about low light the ISO capabilities + a fast lens will help a lot. I can't comment on those specific lenses since I don't have them, but I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and if you want the versatility of the 17-200mm.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm pretty sure you'll get better quality with the sigma 17-50 or the Tamron 17-50 than with the 18-200. Plus, you'll have the 2.8 factor that is IMHO essential for weddings, not to mention the DOF that will isolate your subjects better as well with the 2.8.

I have the 18-200 which is very nice for vacations, but when time comes for serious (paid for) shootings, my 17-50 is the one I take. I'm just waiting to get the damaged 17-55 2.8 Nikon that I bought cheap and is being repaired. I hope to get it before I leave for Mexico.

emoxley

I have a Tamron 70-300mm VC lens (f/4-5.6). I shot an Easter play, inside and without flash, and it did very well. So, I think the D7000 will help with lenses that normally wouldn't be considered for low light without flash. That being said, for the reasons you mention, I agree with the others. An f/2.8 lens will be better for weddings.

I, personally, don't have an f/2.8 lens yet, but hope to have one within the next couple of weeks. I'll be getting a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro lens. I can't wait. Good luck!

simonhodge

Thanks guys. I was sort of thinking the sigma is the way to go. Guess that means that to get a 200mm i will have to buy a sigma 70-200mm F2.8 then! Its a hard life but i guess i better start saving :)

silvertip

I have the Sigma 70-200 f2.8. It is a super lens. I use it for high school sports inside. Fortunately the lights in the gym are fairly bright. I am able to shoot at 1/200 to 1/250 @ f4 and iso 1600. The photos produced are sharp and clear. Love the lens!

Curt

You will love the D7000 I have had mine since the spring and it is a great camera body. I would stick with Nikon lenses. You might want to try the 50mm 1.8 or if you have the money the 1.4 great lens for low light, very shape.
I would also say the Nikon 70-300 is a fantastic lens. I have these lenses and I love them.