got 3 manual lenses today!!

Just-Clayton

Went to my mothers today. Was outside shooting some birds. When I brought the camera in her BF said he had an older nikon. He dug it out and these were full manual lenses from the late 60s-70s. 1-28mm/3.5 1-50mm/1.4 and 1-85-210mm/4.5. The 28mm has what looks like moisture damage on outside edge of lens. Didn't seem to affect the picture. The other 2 are scratch free. Tried them out and the 50mm seems the best. Will get some pics later in this thread. Also got +1,+2 and +4 magnifiers.

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

He gave them to you? Sweet! The moisture problem can be cured by using those little desiccant pouches that come in meds bottles and such. It's a silica gel in bead form that dries up whatever moisture that it's near.

Just-Clayton

here is whats is on the lense. no problem with the pictures. but looks like it crystalized.

Attachments

• DSC_0606 (800x533).jpg
    DSC_0606 (800x533).jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 172

Just-Clayton

here's a pic with both lenses. 1st is 50mm, 2nd is 28mm

Attachments

• DSC_0615 (800x533).jpg
    DSC_0615 (800x533).jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC_0620 (800x533).jpg
    DSC_0620 (800x533).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 271
Last edited by a moderator:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
here is whats is on the lense. no problem with the pictures. but looks like it crystalized.

I've heard that you should store this lens apart from the others to prevent the fungus to migrate. I have no clue if it could happen or not, but better be careful than sorry.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
heres a pic with both lenses. 1st is 50mm 2nd is 28mm

that 28 is supposed to be one of the sharpest lenses ever produced. I wouldn't worry about the fungus but would get info on how to stop it if that's even a possibility.

Just-Clayton

these lenses have been in the basent for a very long time. around 30 yrs. i will try the cilica bag first and see if it helps. yes these are sharp lenses. i still have to remember they arent zoom lenses and i have to move in and out. i will have more pics as i use them. i really like these lenses.

fotojack

Yeah, that's definitely fungus, not moisture. The lens has to be removed and cleaned, otherwise it will just keep growing. It's worth the small cost to have it done professionally. That's an awesome lens......well worth preserving. The silica won't help this problem.

Browncoat

It's worth the small cost to have it done professionally. That's an awesome lens......well worth preserving. The silica won't help this problem.

+1

Definitely contact your local camera store and see how much they would charge to clean your lens. It may not end up being such a small cost, but still worth checking into. I about choked when I heard what some of these stores charge for this service. I'm in the wrong business.

Eye-level

Banned
The 28/3.5 is about the cheapest Nikkor in the universe...cheap NOT cheaply made! They are full blown Nikkor quality. You can get an excellent plus non AI for less than 50 bucks...read easier to just replace then to have repaired besides most of the time fungus "etches" a lens. I would segregate it most definately but that is just me.

The 50/1.4 is the ubiquitous Nikkor standard issue MF lens.

The 85-210...not a nikkor??? Talk about a birder's lens especially on a DX body.

I'd say you cleaned house...I'm curious did he have his camera body still and if so what was it?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The 28/3.5 is about the cheapest Nikkor in the universe...cheap NOT cheaply made! They are full blown Nikkor quality. You can get an excellent plus non AI for less than 50 bucks...read easier to just replace then to have repaired besides most of the time fungus "etches" a lens. I would segregate it most definately but that is just me.

The 50/1.4 is the ubiquitous Nikkor standard issue MF lens.

The 85-210...not a nikkor??? Talk about a birder's lens especially on a DX body.

I'd say you cleaned house...I'm curious did he have his camera body still and if so what was it?

Agreed. I bought my Nikkor 28mm f3.5 for $60. So if the shop is going to charge you more than this, then, it might not be worth the trouble. Congrats on your new toys.

Just-Clayton

yes, i have been looking on ebay for a replacement one and the price is good. i will separate it from the flock but still use it until it gets bad. as for the zoom. i havent tried too much with it yet. the sharpness and color arent that good. it is a sun zoom. but i will try messing with it. need a good sunny day to try it, and boy is it heavy. one thing i have to remember is to set the apeture ring before shooting with these lenses. its funny when i dont!
as for the camera itself all i read on it was that it was a nikomatic. didnt look at the model or if there was one. i was too excited about the lenses to look at the camera.LOL

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
Here is something you might do with that new wide angle Nikkor of your's...I took a gander at mine tonight and looked at that photo of your's and I think this might be a possibility for you...

From your picture I gather that your fungi problem is on the front element of your lens...looking at mine it appears that it would be very simple to remove the front element if one had a spanner wrench (see link following...there are cheaper ones available too I think) Spanner Wrench, Lens Ring Tool

Basically you pop off the front element and clean it up...DIY You don't have much to lose and a lot to gain! :)

It is just my way of thinking but I would keep that lens away from my camera body...more so than my other lenses...until I was able to get it cleaned up.

Here is a shot of mine...haven't took a picture since July with my F2...and take a look at what lens I have had mounted on it since then... :)

2835.jpg

Play around with that fast 50 you got...I think it will grow on you more then you could imagine!

Last edited:

Just-Clayton

well i just got done taking pics with each lens. not happy with quality of my 18-55 dx-af as you will see in the pics. i love the sharpness and clarity of these mf lenses.
1st shot-28mm
2nd shot-50mm
3rd shot-35-70
4th shot 18-55 dx-af
notice 18-55 wasnt as sharp and the 35-70 has a narrow focal point.

Attachments

• DSC_0663 (800x534).jpg
    DSC_0663 (800x534).jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0669 (800x458).jpg
    DSC_0669 (800x458).jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_0671 (800x534).jpg
    DSC_0671 (800x534).jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0674 (800x532).jpg
    DSC_0674 (800x532).jpg
    172 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You've found great lenses there. I have the 35-70 and it's a very sharp lens if not used with backlight. It flares "REALLY" easily. But otherwise, it's just fantastic. And it does great close-ups too.