D-90 built in flash not closing

eyespyed

After a 35 years I finally got my Nikon camera. For the last three years I've had a blast and enjoyed many blissful clicks. Yesterday when I took my camera out of it's storage bag the flash was released. Now I can't get the latch to catch and lock it down. Any ideas out there to remove this one bit of tarnish on my short Nikon history?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Hrm, sounds like the latch is stuck in the open position, the tab is broken off, or there is a problem with the actuator that moves the latch. Is there some dirt in there blocking it from closing?

I did a quick search and it seems like there is a common problem with the actuator. Unfortunately, the only solution may be to send it in to get repaired by Nikon, or take it to an authorized repair center.

eyespyed

aaargh. I did not want send it. But I fear your correct. The area around the latch is clean and the tab is in fine condition. However the tab and latch appear like they are attached to dead actuator.....Thanks jdeg for your response and advice. I was hoping for the easy fix so I thought I'd check with other Nikonites. I really expect better from Nikon.....