photo pricing.

Just-Clayton

i show a lot of my work on my route. i recently showed the picture of my weekly monotone bridge. so far i have several people wanting a copy. how do you price a single piece? I plan to put them in matting and sell them that way.

theregsy

Always a tough call... one I hate making, as it's usually friends that want a copy. I charge between £10 & £30, depending on size and quality required, I would charge more for poster prints, or canvas, but in the end it's whatever you feel comfortable with, and possibly it could depend on what your customers can pay. I know that there are a lot more commercially savvy people on this site than me, and I am sure that they will have a different take on it :) If you are making a living from this then it all changes. :) LOL I know... no help at all, am I? Good luck with the sales, though. Nice to have a level of interest. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, start by evaluating how much each print will cost you. Then add a profit and a little more. We often think our work is already done and that the money will be all profit, but think about all your equipment and time invested in learning.
I don't think you'll get rich by selling individual pieces, but at least you might not get poorer.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

Check your local photographers. what are they selling for? as was said before, what will it cost you?, and also sometimes, what did it cost you to get in the first place? I see a lot of studios charging$12- $15 for a simple 5x7 and that does not include matting. The area you live in and the type of image always plays a part. In West Yellowstone I seen 20x30's for $400, and they were in $120 frames.

Browncoat

Cost of materials + time + expenses + X% profit = Price

The print itself will be the least expensive part of this equation. Framing/matting isn't cheap, no matter where you live, especially when you're dealing with small quantities. You don't really have any business overhead to speak of.

After you pay for everything, you just need to figure out how much the trouble was worth and charge accordingly.