D500 vs D5

bandit993

Just a stupid question, but... With the high praise I have seen for the D500, Is the D5 really worth the high price tag? I mean the D500 has so many of the features found on the D5, is the D5 that much better? In Canada the D5 is $8500.00, and the D500 is $2699.00 That's over 3 times the price for a D5.. Sorry to waste your time. I just had to ask.. Haha

RocketCowboy

The D4S is still available at over $5k new. Whether the model is worth that price or not depends on who's using it and how. Do you need dual XQD slots or a vertical grip? Or a larger sensor? Can't we all take pictures with a D3000?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeke_M

Just a stupid question, but... With the high praise I have seen for the D500, Is the D5 really worth the high price tag? I mean the D500 has so many of the features found on the D5, is the D5 that much better? In Canada the D5 is $8500.00, and the D500 is $2699.00 That's over 3 times the price for a D5.. Sorry to waste your time. I just had to ask.. Haha

You could rent both cameras and see what all the fuss is about.

https://www.glazerscamera.com/rentals/nikon

Blacktop

In short, different tools for different jobs.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I think Pro's (and some who think they are) might want a D5 for some ungodly reason. The truth is it might save you some time at a shoot, and deliver great pictures, but to a client, it's what's between the ears that counts. Most of us can see fine, and in most cases, about 99% of everybody.....they couldn't tell the difference if a shot was taken by a D5100 and/or a D5. Even if I were a pro, unless I was filthy rich, I wouldn't blow that much moola on a D5. No way Jose!

bandit993

Thanks for the replies. I can see that you understand my question. When I look at many of the pics on the different pages in this website, I would have a hard time saying "a D5 took this or a D7200 took this" The person behind the camera has so much to do with the quality that the camera is not as important as the companies want you to think. At the end of the day the quality of the pic is what counts.. Just my opinion anyway. Thank you for your opinions..

jay_dean

Thanks for the replies. I can see that you understand my question. When I look at many of the pics on the different pages in this website, I would have a hard time saying "a D5 took this or a D7200 took this" The person behind the camera has so much to do with the quality that the camera is not as important as the companies want you to think. At the end of the day the quality of the pic is what counts.. Just my opinion anyway. Thank you for your opinions..
I know of a studio that uses D200's and D300's, and print large canvasses but you'd never know it wasn't taken with a newer faster etc body. D5's are overkill in a studio, more a journo's tool imo