Lens for Travel with good telephoto

Alexander.K

Hallo all,
I'm using D5100, now i want to buy lens (budget +/- USD 600) for travel and telephoto (for take a good view of sunset). Now i'm in the middle of junction to choose between Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM, nikon AF-S 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR and Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD.
Could you give me any suggestion or is there any good lens for travel with sharp picture?

Thank in advance
BR
Alexander

Curt

Well I travel a fair amount (about to head to Sweden next week). I have the 70-300 its a fantastic lens, but a bit to heavy to cart around on a trip. I am taking two lenses alomg a 18-55 & 55-200 (Nikon) both are really light and great on a trip where you are doing a lot of walking about. I will use my D7000 body. I travel overseas a few times a year and have found this to be the best combo in terms of full coverage, but easy to carry, just my 2cents...lol.

Rick M

What do you have now and what are your ultimate goals? If you intend to keep what you have now, you may want to build around it's range not crossing over it. If you have an 18-55 and plan to keep it, the 55-300 is a logical choice. Personally, I do not feel superzooms like the 18-250 is a great choice, it covers allot of range, but the trade-off is usually speed and/or quality. Choose your anchor and build around it (I wasted allot of money not doing this in the beginning). Also, consider cross-over points when lense changing will be needed, this helped me with my lens decisions.

Last edited:

Alexander.K

Thanks, Curt and Cnyram, for the advice. Right now I have 35mm f/1.8G. This is a fixed lens and very good for taking a picture, and sharp... really like it, but the bad thing is I must get very close to the object to get a close up.... and can not get a good view (such as a dawn). so right now I'm trying to get a zoom lens to complete my journey... lol...

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick M

In that case, for under $400 you could get the nikon 18-105, or 16-85 for about $650 if you want to go a little wider.

Alexander.K

Thanks, Cnyram and Rani. Between nikon AF-S DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II , 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX and 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX which one is better? maybe i will post phone to buy this month and will buy next month to get more budget. :)
(nb. for my self maybe i will choose 18-200)

fotojack

If that's the one you're going to pick anyway, why did you ask? Just to see what everyone would say??? The best suggestion was given to you.....the 18-105 VR. Absolutely great travel lens for the money.

Ranie

Thanks, Cnyram and Rani. Between nikon AF-S DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II , 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX and 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX which one is better? maybe i will post phone to buy this month and will buy next month to get more budget. :)

I use to have both versions of the 18-200 VR. To tell you frankly, Im not impressed with the IQ of this "jack of all trades" lens. The 18-105 will surely beat the 18-200 anytime.

Rick M

Of the three lenses you mentioned, I would narrow it down to the 18-105 or 16-85. I have the 16-85 mainly because I like to shoot wider and have a 70-300 vr for anything over 85mm. Again this all comes down to personal choice and shooting style. The 18-200 is the most popular of the three because of it's range, but not in terms of image quality. For the same price of the 18-200 you could pick up the Nikon18-105 AND a Nikon 55-300, to me that combo is better than the 18-200 alone.

Alexander.K

Thanks All, for the input... :)
@ fotojack : i said "maybe" it's mean i'm not sure, it's my opinion, not statement. :) I just read some web (http: //thenewcamera .com/?p=4587) and i post in here because i need some clarification from the one who have more experience because i still newbee here... :) Sorry to make you miss understand with my word.

Last edited:

Alexander.K

If 18-200 only popular because it's range not in the quality, so i will not choose that one, i will choose 18-105 and after i have more cash i will buy 55-300 :)
Thanks everyone. :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi Lex. I was also going to suggest the Nikon 16-85mm f3.5-5.6 VRII DX lens since it covers a little wider and is a pretty decent and sharp. lens. It has a similar Field of View with my Nikon 24-120mm f4 VRII when mounted on a FX camera. Nikon Rumor previously announced an update with this lens but Nikon apparently delayed it's announcement. It might be a better lens choice especially if Nikon makes it a f4 VRII lens. On the other hand, the Nikon 24-120mm f4 VRII has been my all-around and travel lens. It works great when taking group shots and is the perfect companion for my D700 IMO.

Alexander.K

Thanks gqtuazon, so it's mean 16-85mm is better because more wider and more sharper? Ok thanks, for the advice. will consider about this 2 lens only. :)

Alexander.K

Hallo all, Just bought 16-85 yesterday, :)
Now for the telephoto lens which one is the best, between 55-300, 70-300 or 80-400?
Any suggestion?
Thank in advance.

Rick M

Hallo all, Just bought 16-85 yesterday, :)
Now for the telephoto lens which one is the best, between 55-300, 70-300 or 80-400?
Any suggestion?
Thank in advance.

Since you are covered up to 85mm, I would go with either the 70-300vr or the 80-400.

Alexander.K

Thank Cnyarm, for the replay.
Between this two lens which one is better? Which can give a sharpest picture? :)
I need this lens for take birds picture and close up sunset.
Thanks.