Light through the camera view finder.

M.Hinch

My question is, would there ever be a time that when metering or take a pic it would be justified covering up the view finder? I realize that on a sunny day or even for that matter a overcast day, the amount of light entering the camera through the view finder and hitting the sensor would not fool the meter reading. But for some of the night photography, would it? Extremely long exposures at night?

Michael

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
This is the reason there is a viewfinder cover that comes with the D7000. I've read in the manual that it is strongly recommended to cover the viewfinder when taking long night exposures.

Browncoat

You should use it when you're shooting remotely, or you are metering with your eye away from the viewfinder. This is to keep any unwanted light from the sensor, as your photos may meter incorrectly and be overexposed.

As general practice, most of us probably don't even bother with it.

Ranie

But would there be any other time, besides long exposures at night?

Michael

Michael, may I ask what lens are you using?
Are you sure that the light leak passes thru the view finder?
Im asking this because I have heard/read that there are batches of Nikon lenses before that have light leaks in them.
Even the Nikon AF-S 24-70 F2.8 has some issues on this light leaks.

M.Hinch

Ranie, no problems with lenses. Trying to improve my percentage of keepers compared to my trash can. I read a while back that light can enter the camera via the view finder which can fool the sensor in reading the scene improperly. And for the life of me I cant remember what the situation was. So I decided to ask my fellow Nikonites.

Michael

Last edited:

Ranie

Ranie, no problems with lenses. Trying to improve my percentage of keepers compared to my trash can. I read a while back that light can enter the camera via the view finder which can fool the sensor in reading the scene improperly. And for the life of me I cant remember what the situation was. So I decided to ask my fellow Nikonites.

Michael

Ah ok. Yes, it can enter thru the view finder.
Another option is to cover your camera (of cors not the lens) together with your head with a black cloth while shooting.
Blocks of unwanted light.