Photographing the moon

Graviola Karen

Hello, I am trying to fix this shot of first quarter moon, 52%. This is a nikon d5300

But when visualized in Lightroom, it shows everything blue. Now Ive got confused with the clipping and highlight stuffs. Looks like the histogram is all messed up. Any tips on what to do on this photo? Thanks!

lightr1.jpg

RocketCowboy

Hello, I am trying to fix this shot of first quarter moon, 52%. This is a nikon d5300

But when visualized in Lightroom, it shows everything blue. Now Ive got confused with the clipping and highlight stuffs. Looks like the histogram is all messed up. Any tips on what to do on this photo? Thanks!

View attachment 247116

In the histogram, the upper left corner turns on shadow clipping. Basically, anything totally black in value will show blue.

It appears that you have shadow clipping enabled, and you have a very dark image that you are displaying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskeyman

When you photograph the moon, go manual and start with the "Sunny 16" rule: f/16 and a shutter speed of 1/X where x is your ISO or ASA setting. As you change your aperture, you change the shutter speed to maintain the same exposure.

If you use automatic exposure, you will likely end up with an overexposed image.

WM