more newbie settings questions

otro

Thanks to all previous answers to my questions regarding my initiation into digital photography. I have two more questions that I hope can provide some entertainment to the forum.
1st - Due to a suggestion from Horoscope Fish I was able to return the Active Focus-Point to the center. It has since returned often again to the far right. Why? because I discovered that, when shooting, I inadvertently press down on the right side of the multi-selector with the base of my thumb. So, my question is: can I lock the Active Focus-Point at the center?
2nd - I noticed that one can display a grid in the viewfinder when filming, but I can not see how to access it in still shot mode. Can it be done? I am so used to seeing and using grids. Is adding one to the LV screen my only option?
Thanks again for nay and all comments and/or advice.

Horoscope Fish

... So, my question is: can I lock the Active Focus-Point at the center?
Yes. Put the focus point where you want it then move the switch that the surrounds the "OK" button from the little white dot to the little white, "L". That "L"ocks the focus point in place, even if you press the selector switch to move it around.

2nd - I noticed that one can display a grid in the viewfinder when filming, but I can not see how to access it in still shot mode. Can it be done?
Yes, sort of... Go into the menu and highlight the "Shooting Menu", the pencil icon. Find the option, "Viewfinder Grid Display" and enable it.

otro

I'm lost or maybe I have an early version of the D3200 because I do not have either a switch around the "ok" or a white dot or "L". And in my shooting menu, I can not find a pencil icon or the term "viewfinder grid display" mentioned or shown in the manual.

Horoscope Fish

I'm lost or maybe I have an early version of the D3200 because I do not have either a switch around the "ok" or a white dot or "L". And in my shooting menu, I can not find a pencil icon or the term "viewfinder grid display" mentioned or shown in the manual.
Wow... I'd forgotten how basic the settings for the D3200 are. In looking into it, I don't think you'll be able to do either of these options with your current body.

Sorry for the confusion.

robbins.photo

I don't think you can lock the focus point on the d3xxx series however if you accidentally move it from the center as I recall you can select the center again by just pushing the ok button

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

aroy

Yes. Put the focus point where you want it then move the switch that the surrounds the "OK" button from the little white dot to the little white, "L". That "L"ocks the focus point in place, even if you press the selector switch to move it around.

Yes, sort of... Go into the menu and highlight the "Shooting Menu", the pencil icon. Find the option, "Viewfinder Grid Display" and enable it.

These are not available in D3xxx series.

For bringing focus to central point just press the multiselector button and the focus will return to central point.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I have the same problem with the D5300 too. Inadvertently hit the multi-selector button and move the focus point. The lock feature is one that I like about the D7100 over the D5300 which doesn't have it either.