Nikon D3100 - is it me or is the camera defective??

Zack001

Hi All, I have a concern about my Nikon D3100's performance.

Briefly, I had a Canon XSI for about two years, and have been able to produce some amazing images using just kit lens and Lightroom. I am not a pro by any means, but have become good enough where I was able to get nice colors and sharp images with most of my shots - of course, it required editing raw shots in Lightroom. Then about 6 months ago I decided to switch to Nikon D3100, because I thought it was a better camera, and also purchased 35mm and 50mm f1.8 lens, in addition to kit lens.

However, I have not been able to produce nearly as nice images as with my Canon, despite using the same techniques, and same editing settings in Lightoom...my pictures do not come out nearly as sharp, and colors seem off, and overall are not any better than a point-and-shoot would produce, other than the dept of field that I can achieve with my lens vs point-and shoot. It is impossible to include examples, as I have shot may pictures, but I was wondering about feedback from people who might had similar experiences?

Is there a way to evaluate my camera to make sure it is not defective? I know I am not a pro, but I think there is more here than just me not knowing how to use the right settings.

robinchun

Are you using RAW with the D3100? perhaps you could put up some comparisons..someone might be able to give an explanation then (I do not have any issues and I too upgarded from a bridge camera)

Robin

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Hi Zack, welcome to the site!

Have you noticed any patterns with what you're shooting and how you're shooting it? For example, are you seeing different results when you're using a certain mode on the camera? What focus mode are you using? Did you set the camera to a specific ISO vs auto ISO? Sharpness and color reproduction rely on a number of factors.

There's a number of questions I could keep asking, but the best way to evaluate things would be to post an example pic (with EXIF data provided) and describe what you wanted to get out of the picture. It could be as simple as adjusting a setting that you're unaware of.

Zack001

Hi Robin, thanks for replying!

As an example, I included a photo of my dog taken with Canon (notice the sharpness and detail on the fur) vs one taken with Nikon (more blurry, and colors not as "intense"). Pplease note...the Nikon example that I put here is one of the best images that I took with Nikon, while most of the other ones are completely dissapointing; motts of my Canon images turned out similar or better to the example I provided here. I will also upload some examples of landscape as well, and the difference is even more prominent.

Top picture is taken with Canon, bottom with Nikon, both were raw images edited in Lightoom.

Am I doing something wrong? IMG_3478-2.jpgDSC_0040-1.jpg

Also, how can I get EXIF data to post it here?

robinchun

As jdeg said..I think it might be a setting somewhere (AF area mode,AF assist) but it has to be something simple!

Robin

The D3100 has had focus problems. I had to have mine replaced because of it. What I did was shoot a focus chart with my wife's Nikon L120 and shoot the same shot with my D3100 and then enlarge them to 50%, 100% 200% and compare the results. The L120 was perfect compared to my D3100. Carried the results to BestBuy and they handed me a new one there on the spot.

They had previously sent it off for repair and it was even worse after they "repaired" it.

Find a decent camera to borrow and shoot a wide shot with both and carry the prints to the dealer you bought it from and show them.

http://www.bealecorner.org/red/test-patterns/ISO_12233-reschart.pdf is one chart you can print and shoot. Or just google Focus chart and get one that is high resolution.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
F4.5 vs 1.8 is tough to compare details with.

That's definitely why the second one seems 'blurry'. It's f/1.8 and is focused on his eyes. There's also more light in the first pic (higher shutter speed & ISO), which is producing a different color.

If you're in A mode (aperture priority) try lowering the aperture or putting it in portrait mode (auto).

To see the EXIF I just saved the photos and viewed the image properties. If you're using windows you can do the same.

tracsoft - I don't think that's the case here.

Will V|Photography

That's definitely why the second one seems 'blurry'. It's f/1.8 and is focused on his eyes. There's also more light in the first pic (higher shutter speed & ISO), which is producing a different color.

If you're in A mode (aperture priority) try lowering the aperture or putting it in portrait mode (auto).

To see the EXIF I just saved the photos and viewed the image properties. If you're using windows you can do the same.

tracsoft - I don't think that's the case here.

I'm going to have to agree with this. Stop down (up?) your aperture to 4.5 and take a similar shot to that from the Canon. I bet you'll see a definite change.

Zack001

Ii agree that there is a component of lens difference in these particular two images, but in general even with kit lens, there is a significant difference compared to my old Canon with kit lens...Nikon is still more blurry, in any condition. I have tried stepped down images, but could still see an appreciably worse quality compared to Canon.

Can you please explain to me how to use this focus chart and how to present it to Best Buy, since that's where I bought my camera? Thanks a lot!

Will V|Photography

I would assume you just take a picture of it w/ your Canon and another w/ your D3100 at the same settings.

I'm still chalking this up to user-error at the moment though. Do you have VR on? What focal length do you usually use? Again, an f/4.5 image will have more of the frame in focus than an f/1.8 image.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Capture Nikon.JPGCapture Canon.JPG

Here is the EXIF side by side

I feel for you wanting quality photo's from your new camera, but in my opinion there is too many differances in the EXIF to properly judge the two shots / cameras.

It's also my understanding that a 50mm f1.8 is going to be a "softer" lens, and in my opinion that is partly what we are seeing here

chryssie

Hi there! I had a kodak compact camera for a few years and bought a canon eos 1000d. There is a big difference between compact and dslr camera. Don't know about a bridge camera. One has to get used to using the dslr.