ATTENTION Must read for D500 owners!!!!!

grandpaw

If you have purchased a D500 and have some older EN-EL15 Li-ion01 batteries that you might have gotten with a D7xxx series or D6xx series camera they will not work very well in the newer D500 camera. Any of these that you have, Nikon will replace for FREE including shipping. The new version of the EN-EL15 battery will have Li-ion02 on the silver strip on the battery. I called because I had two of these for my D7000 and two more for my D600 and they are going to replace all four with the newer 02 version of this battery. For more information on how to do this go to the link below.

Found a list of cameras that use this same battery, so if you have purchased batteries for any of these and you purchased a D500, here is a chance to replace them with NEW batteries.

Nikon D600, Nikon D610, Nikon D750, Nikon D800, Nikon D800E, Nikon D810, Nikon D810A, Nikon D7000, Nikon D7100, Nikon 1 V1, Nikon V1

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_article?articleNo=000004779&configured=1&lang=en_US

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

If you have purchased a D500 and have some older EN-EL15 Li-ion01 batteries that you might have gotten with a D7xxx series or D6xx series camera they will not work very well in the newer D500 camera. Any of these that you have, Nikon will replace for FREE including shipping. The new version of the EN-EL15 battery will have Li-ion02 on the silver strip on the battery. I called because I had two of these for my D7000 and two more for my D600 and they are going to replace all four with the newer 02 version of this battery. For more information on how to do this go to the link below.

Found a list of cameras that use this same battery, so if you have purchased batteries for any of these and you purchased a D500, here is a chance to replace them with NEW batteries.

Nikon D600, Nikon D610, Nikon D750, Nikon D800, Nikon D800E, Nikon D810, Nikon D810A, Nikon D7000, Nikon D7100, Nikon 1 V1, Nikon V1

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_article?articleNo=000004779&configured=1&lang=en_US
Why all the panic? The old version of the battery has a lower shot capacity but is perfectly safe to use.

Nikon Offers Free Battery Exchange

grandpaw

It has nothing to do with safety or panic, it has to do with the older batteries not giving you as many shots per charge. If Nikon is willing to replace your old batteries with new ones,why would you not want to take advantage of the offer. You get new batteries that will last longer and give you more shots per charge, that seems like a pretty easy decision to make for me. I will share the information and it is up to you what to do with it. If Nikon is offering something newer and better for free, I am going to take advantage of the offer. It is up to you what you do with the information.

This is the link to the Nikon information page.

Last edited:

grandpaw

Why all the panic? The old version of the battery has a lower shot capacity but is perfectly safe to use.

Nikon Offers Free Battery Exchange

About the panic... I guess you must be referring to how I worded the subject line. Since I did not post a picture and my post only had words I just wanted to get everyone's attention so they would not skip over the post and miss the opportunity to get their batteries replaced/

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Earlier when the D500 came out, there was a discussion about other Nikon EN-EL15 batteries not working properly in the D500. On the last page of that thread, Jake's reply is interesting where he compiled info on various batteries and how they performed in several Nikon bodies. He created a graphic which shows the results. I'd post the quote here, but quite often when you quote something that has a photo in it, the photo won't display. Here is the link to his reply:

https://nikonites.com/d500/36254-mi...atuitous-jumping-spider-pic-3.html#post557011

Whiskeyman

Well, after going through two batteries at the C-B-B yesterday, I am definitely going to look into this. I have three of them and recharged each one to 100% by Monday night. I hope the issue is the batteries and not that the D500 grinds through batteries that fast. Granted, I did have the camera on of a good 9.5 - 10 hours yesterday, but I took less than 600 shots. (Yes, I had a slow day!)

WM

BackdoorArts

There's indeed something about the D500's power use that is an anomaly when compared to other bodies. Hark posted my findings which show the difference in power reading. Even with the Li-ion20's (not 02's) when they go dead I can stick them in the D750 and they'll show ~25% capacity, and something rated 80% in the D750 will be around 65% in the D500 (the difference grows the more the battery is drained).

No, this is not about anything that endangers the camera, but it could leave you with a dead camera when you're out and if it's on a trip or something important that's not going to make you happy. I sent all my old ones off and got new ones back in a week. Batteries get old and will eventually need replacing, so why not take advantage of the swap?!

Last edited:

Woodyg3

Contributor
The new batteries can give me as many as 2000 shots on my D500. I haven't bothered trying any older batteries in it, and I went ahead and traded in a couple of older ones for the new ones. Why not? As Jake said, old batteries have less life than new, so the new battery trade makes sense in every way possible. :)

Rotor

I followed instruction in the link. Nikon states that only Li-ion01 battery that has serial number with the ninth character is "F" or "E" is eligible for exchange. Am I understand correctly?

grandpaw

I followed instruction in the link. Nikon states that only Li-ion01 battery that has serial number with the ninth character is "F" or "E" is eligible for exchange. Am I understand correctly?

The only thing I looked at on my old batteries was if they said LI-ion01. I have no idea what the serial number was on the four I sent back. I called them and talked with them about sending mine back and don't remember being asked about the serial number. Give them a call.

BackdoorArts

As grandpaw said, when I shipped them in I only looked for the type, not a serial number. All of mine went out, all of them were replaced. My question to you is do you have any Li-ion01 batteries that don't have those letters as the 9th character?

The link above doesn't seem to work anymore, but in this article from the support page it states clearly, with no mention of serial number:

Identifying eligible batteries:

EN-EL15 rechargeable Li-ion batteries with Li-ion01 printed on the back of the battery are eligible for replacement.
EN-EL15 batteries with Li-ion20 printed on the back of the battery are the same post-modification batteries as those supplied with the D500, and do not require nor are they eligible for replacement.

I believe there was a recall of Li-ion01 batteries 5 or 6 years ago (about the time I got into Nikon) that was specific to serial number, but that has nothing to do with the D500 swap.

RocketCowboy

Interesting data point.... I have a few batteries from my original D7100 a couple years ago, various grips and what not. The oldest battery I have is dated 2013. All of the batteries I have are labeled as Li-ion02. A few of my batteries were labeled as 2014, and then two were 2016, but nothing I had from Nikon had the older Li-ion01 battery.