HELP??? D3100 Battery Grip

esh1692

I just received my Meike D3100 Battery grip. When i plug in the external shutter release cable the LCD screen will not work, live view or my settings nothing at all... Do you think the battery grip is defective or is it my camera? Please help...

Liz

Carolina Photo Guy

I just received my Meike D3100 Battery grip. When i plug in the external shutter release cable the LCD screen will not work, live view or my settings nothing at all... Do you think the battery grip is defective or is it my camera? Please help...

Liz

If everything works when you UNPLUG the battery grip, then I would think its the grip since it is an after market piece of ... chinese equipment.

Personally, I would wait until Nikon makes a battery grip compatible with the D3100. Just remember, you usually get what you pay for.

Hope this helps.

StringThing

I was under the impression that Nikon will never release a grip for their entry level DSLRs, the 3100 and 5100. If that is true, all we are left with is the Chinese manufactured grips. I just ordered one (Phottix branded, although I'm sure they all roll off the same assembly line). I do plan on doing an in-depth review and longevity report.

Cheers!

Browncoat

There is a Nikonites member review of this battery grip here.

It's a $25 grip, so expectations can't be too high for this product. I would say the odds are high that it's the grip and not your camera. Do these functions work without the grip attached?

Berkerk

Someone else on here also had a problem with this grip, think it turned out to be a faulty cable.

Sometimes they also come supplied with third party batteries which also don't work if used in both slots of the grip, although you can get away with one Nikon and one third party apparently.

esh1692

It was the grip... Replaced with free overnight shipping! Have to love amazon... I plan to buy the nikon version if they ever come out with a compatible one... But who can beat 25$$? :)

Will V|Photography

I was the one who was having a similar problem with my Zeikos (Meike) grip. If you search you should find a thread I made about it. I emailed the place I got it from on eBay and they sent me a replacement cable. That was the issue. The grip works perfectly now and I love it. Best $35 you can spend on this camera IMO, other than filters and such.

Last edited:

jimbo54

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post so take it with a grain of salt.
I just bought and recieved this grip from BestBatt.com and have been playing with it and it has worked flawlesly. Far better quality than I expected. I think that it is just the luck of the draw. If I had to come up with a fault it would be the locking wheel being floppy. Outside of that, you'd swear it came from Nikon.

Will V|Photography

Yeah, the locking wheel is a little loose but I give it a little nudge in the lock direction every time I use it and have not had a problem with it coming off or even coming loose. As for the original problem from the OP, I can almost guarantee your first grip was still good but some of them get shipped with crappy cables that can break inside the insulation. I called the place I got the grip from and they sent me a better quality cable and I haven't had the issue since.

StringThing

I've had my grip for about 2 months now. I got the Phottix one, I probably paid a little more for it if they are all rolling off the same assembly line somewhere in China. I don't regret buying this for one moment. I use it with 2 Nikon genuine batteries and has been working flawlessly since the day I got it.

The only -1 I would give it is that if they had put a 90 degree elbow at both ends of the shutter release cable instead of just one end, it would be a little less obtrusive. Though I barely even notice the cable anymore.

Stevemax

Yes, I truly believe in using Genuine Nikon batteries, but that's debatable with some ppl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will V|Photography

The only -1 I would give it is that if they had put a 90 degree elbow at both ends of the shutter release cable instead of just one end, it would be a little less obtrusive. Though I barely even notice the cable anymore.

My Zeikos came with a cable that has a 90* for each plug. Maybe you should call around and see if a shop will sell you just the cable. I know Cameta Camera has them as that is where I got my grip from.