Grey Market D500

80Gritt

I just received what Ritz Camera calls an International version D500. Everything was included and it seems to be fine but have not had a chance to actually take a picture with it yet. I have only charged the battery and made sure the camera turns on and tried to connect it to SnapBridge but it told me I needed to do a Firmware update.

Ritz provides a 1 year warranty. I saw on Nikon USA that Nikon does not service Grey Market even if the customer pays for it. Am I reading that correctly?

Moab Man

Correct statement. They will not service no matter what to avoid Americans being tempted to buy the camera without a markup for our market.

In regards to Ritz, I would talk to them about this. Unless they are servicing any warranty issue then the warranty of a year is useless.

80Gritt

Are there other companies that are competent to service it if it needs it? I realize the manufacturer is always the best option and why I used the word competent.

Horoscope Fish

Are there other companies that are competent to service it if it needs it? I realize the manufacturer is always the best option and why I used the word competent.
Yes there are. I have a place just down the road from me that doesn't give two hoots about how or where I bought my camera, but I'm in So-Cal.

You might need to hunt around a bit to find someone to service your camera but there ARE places that will do it. KEH Camera is one example, but you might be able to find someone else closer to wherever it is you live.

80Gritt

Yes there are. I have a place just down the road from me that doesn't give two hoots about how or where I bought my camera, but I'm in So-Cal.

You might need to hunt around a bit to find someone to service your camera but there ARE places that will do it. KEH Camera is one example, but you might be able to find someone else closer to wherever it is you live.

Eastern Virginia. I will check out the KEH and others in this area. That eases my mind a little. I had just about made my mind up to send it back and just suck up the extra 200 bucks. Which I probably should have done anyway. I only knew of Nikon not offering the warranty. I would never had of imagined they would refuse to service their product no matter what market it was made for.

80Gritt

I went on the KEH website and found this. *** We are not currently accepting any international repairs *** I will search to see if there are any companies that will around where live.

Horoscope Fish

Eastern Virginia. I will check out the KEH and others in this area. That eases my mind a little. I had just about made my mind up to send it back and just suck up the extra 200 bucks. Which I probably should have done anyway. I only knew of Nikon not offering the warranty. I would never had of imagined they would refuse to service their product no matter what market it was made for.
Yeah, Nikon is hard-core about not touching GM kit.

As an aside I will tell you while I like my Nikon gear very muchly, I absolutely do NOT like Nikon. A lot of the pro's here on campus shoot and recommend Canon and always for the same three reasons: The service, the service and... The service.

80Gritt

Yeah, Nikon is hard-core about not touching GM kit.

As an aside I will tell you while I like my Nikon gear very muchly, I absolutely do NOT like Nikon. A lot of the pro's here on campus shoot and recommend Canon and always for the same three reasons: The service, the service and... The service.

Starting to understand that. Thanks for your assistance. The good news for me is my D500 does not need repaired I was just worried if it ever needs to be.

Horoscope Fish

I went on the KEH website and found this. *** We are not currently accepting any international repairs *** I will search to see if there are any companies that will around where live.
That's not what that means... ;)
Fred is correct... KEH is not saying they won't accept GM kit, they mean to say they're not accepting cameras shipped to them from outside Continental United States.

rocketman122

if its under 30 days consider getting a mack diamond warranty. I always buy grey cameras and mack diamond warranty. its an all risk warranty. ive had my shutter mirror and aperture mechanism changed from wear. it covers impact damage as well for 3 years. as a working wedding photog its a must have.

im not sure this is the correct policy but you can contact mack themselves and then find the policy from ebay.

Mack 1311 3 Yr Diamond Under $2000 | eBay
or this one since your camera is intl
Mack 1812 3 Yr International Diamond Under $2000 | eBay
check with mack

Ive bought from frankyscorner and another seller called tmoshe. they are legit. you pay and they send you the policy number. you dont need the physical policy. after goto the mack website and enter the pertinent info of the sale and policy number and youll get a an ok from them to your email. easy peasey. I never buy any camera or lens without it. saves my ass a lot of money.

oh, one thing. although the camera is grey market, see that ritz is an authorized nikon seller. that matters. dont know why since its grey but it does.