Of a Tair, a Typewriter and Tri-X

480sparky

A couple months ago, I came across my old typewriter from high school. I had been looking for it rather half-heartedly, but was excited when I found it.

My excitement was short-lived, however, when I discovered that it was electric and needed a new ribbon. The electric part didn't thrill me (I thought it was a manual unit), but the ribbon was a real downer: I couldn't find one for it.

So off to Goodwill it went and I started to do some research for finding a great-quality, manual typewriter. My search ended when I purchased an Olympia SM9 from ebay. I was stoked. Not only was this one manual, but it had a wide carriage, was in great condition, came with the carry case (with a key, no less!),......... and was a rather rare bird with script keys (as opposed to block).

After ordering some ribbons the day after it arrived (it uses the standard spool-to-spool ribbon), I was in heaven. I even sat down a banged out several old-tyme letters to family and friends.

I had some time today to sit down and really give it a good bath. And as I was doing so, I marveled at the engineering that went into it, how rock-solid it is, and how it will probably still be usable a hundred years after I cease to draw breath on this plane.

I also began to look at it as a subject to aim my camera at. So, I mounted up my Tair 135/2.8 on a 32mm extension tube and began firing away. After some basic PP in NX2 to sharpen and adjust the curves, it was off to DxO Film Pak 3 to get a '70's-era look: Tri-X.

And the results:

Tab_8623%20post.jpg

Keyboard%201_8583%20post.jpg

Above%20the%20Platen_8589%20post.jpg

Margin%20Stop_8591%20post.jpg

Keyboard%202_8586%20post.jpg

Olympia_8593%20post.jpg

Keys%201_8610%20post.jpg

Under%20the%20Keys_8595%20post.jpg

Return%20Springs%201_8598%20post.jpg

Keys%202_8612%20post.jpg

De%20Luxe_8615%20post.jpg

Return%20Springs%202_8604%20post.jpg

Keys%203_8617%20post.jpg

Comments are welcome!

RobV

I miss my old, OLD SCHOOL IBM electric typewriter. I am talking 1950's model?

Towards the end of it's life, the power supply began leaking.

Nice pictures, script type! How cool is that? You need to scan a sample and post it!

480sparky

I just flashed back to my Junior High typing class... Gave me a bit of a chill... :) I cannot remember the teachers name... but I remembered that exercise... that is what gave me the chill... Oz

Mine was Mr. Nemeier. And the only exercise I remember is asdfjkl; asdfjkl; asdfjkl; asdfjkl;..............

Bikerbrent

I too remember my junior high typing class. At the time, I hated the class as I was the only boy in the class, but my parents made me take it. Since then, I have thanked them many times over for making me do this. Sometimes father does know best. However, it still amazes me to this day how fast some people can type on the computer with only one or two fingers. Only I remember this exercise as, "The quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown dog."

Danno

My folks required it. They said I would need if for College... They were right, but there were not a lot of guys in mine either. But it did help, and I am glad I took it now.

RobV

I didn't take typing until my 2nd year of college ('75-'76). It was NEVER suggested to me in High School. I feel that the guidance department failed me miserably in preparing to find my way.
I just stumbled into a computer room as a young man as a temp, and got myself hired on and trained as an operator. Her I sit, many companies and 40 years later.
I sure am glad I took typing! I dropped out my 4th semester, though, and never learned the number row!

Dawg Pics

A young friend of mine just received a manual typewriter. She posted a pic of a letter she typed complete with text smiley.

( : I thought it was funny.