geraldm24's 52-week challenge 2016 in 2017

geraldm24

Having purchased a D7200 in December, I was keen to commit to something that would challenge my limits as a photographer (I use that word lightly, as I'm currently taking photos only - no real theme, idea, skills and more). I saw the 52-week challenges online, but was reluctant to commit to 1 theme per week - I thought it was a step too far, for me. Instead I wrote down 26 different themes/ideas and planned to see how it panned out. I'm not sure where the idea changed from 26 to 52, but I'm now approaching my second week having completed the task for the first week.

The 52-week Dogwood Photography challenge for 2016 was my starting point, thinking it was the 2017 edition (the #hashtags were showing 2017 on the site, but the self-portrait "selfie" was from 2016). When the FB group I joined posted the "Rule of Thirds" as the first task, I was caught a bit on the back foot, and a bit unprepared. After reading through both, I realised some 2016 tasks were repeated in 2017, with a bit more skill required - the perfect opportunity to do both, at the same time.

So this thread will be dedicated to my 2016 version of the 52-week challenge, but completed in 2017. I'll start a second thread for the 2017 version of the challenge.

Comment, suggestions and likes are welcome - it's the only way I will learn. Constructive criticism is also cool - especially on the challenges that require me to do (use something) I have never done (or don't have the equipment for).

Question: I saw a post somewhere about posting EXIF data, to verify the photos are taken with Nikon cameras. How does one do this?

For now, the image info is:
1/2.5 sec
f/5,6
ISO 500
110mm
EV -0.3
Manual mode
WB Auto

Week 1 - Self Portrait "Selfie"... which became my profile photo.
DSC_0647_lzn.jpg

Last edited:

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Question: I saw a post somewhere about posting EXIF data, to verify the photos are taken with Nikon cameras. How does one do this?

For now, the image info is:
1/2.5 sec
f/5,6
ISO 500
110mm
EV -0.3
Manual mode
WB Auto

Week 1 - Self Portrait "Selfie"... which became my profile photo.
attachment.php

Welcome to the forum. Good luck on both of your 52 attempts. There isn't a photo displayed in your post. Also you asked about EXIF data being posted. Here is a guide that @Don Kuykendall posts from time to time to assist in posting your pictures.

Guidelines to adding a photo to your post.

1. Resize photo to 1000px on the long side.
2. Resolution set to 72ppi (Pixels Per Inch)

These guidelines will be good for viewing on a computer but will not be good for printing. This will help safeguard your copyright.

geraldm24

Thanks, I used the link from URL option - perhaps it doesn't like the Instagram link. I do this in other forums where referencing external sites is encouraged.

I'll try again using the file upload. And also search/read the instructions for the EXIF data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I used the link from URL option - perhaps it doesn't like the Instagram link. I do this in other forums where referencing external sites is encouraged.

I'll try again using the file upload. And also search/read the instructions for the EXIF data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What photo finishing program are you using to process your photos? Always better here to upload directly and follow the directions cwgrizz posted and if done correctly the EXIF data will show automatically. You can see it on most photos here just by hovering over the photo. You can look at some of mine to see this.

geraldm24

Sorted for the EXIF data - my image in the first post now shows the EXIF data. In another cycling-specific forum, it allows me to link my Instagram account - I had used the image saved on IG, which is incorrect. Thanks for the help, and likes.

I can't afford LR at this point in time, so I am using LightZone (purely to do minor corrections, and reduce the file size to a manageable upload file size).

geraldm24

Week 2 submission: Traditional landscape

Setting African sun, on the outskirts of my home town - Alberton.
Some post-processing in the trial version of Lightroom.

EXIF data not showing, for whatever reason. The data is as follows:

• Make:NIKON CORPORATION
  • Model:NIKON D7200
  • DateTimeOriginal:2017:01:15 18:55:47
  • ISOSpeedRatings:100
  • Software:Thio 9.8 (Android)
  • ExposureTime:1/640
  • FNumber:56/10
  • FocalLength:100/1
  • UndefinedTag:0xA434:TAMRON AF 16-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD B016N

lrm_export_20170116_214739.jpg

Last edited:

Roy1961

Contributor
Week 2 submission: Traditional landscape

Setting African sun, on the outskirts of my home town - Alberton.
Some post-processing in the trial version of Lightroom.

edit: will post again later - image used has no EXIF data.

I am not seeing an Image mate?

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
@geraldm24
I don't use Lightroom, but my understanding is that there is a box that you either check or uncheck that will let you save you photo file without stripping the EXIF data. I have a feeling that is your problem now, if you followed the upload procedures given earlier.

I'm sure it is something simple and once you find it, you will probably say duh. Ha! Good luck

geraldm24

Thanks, I found that checkbox - but then decided to upload the photo to my gallery and add the photo via that URL.
It is now working.

I was about to post this, when it worked - the definition of a word we use locally, when fed up. :unconscious:

gatvol
Pronounced: gaaat-fall. Meaning: very fed-up or irritated.
It is a South African word, derived from the Afrikaans language, but widely used in English (and some indigenous langue conversation.)
Literal translation: gat(ass or hole) vol(full)
Probably intended to mean a dug hole full to the brim (“up to your neck with…”) , but given a slant by the double meaning of the word “gat”.

I am gatvol of the way my boss treats me.

by jakalas September 16, 2005
from Urban Dictionary: gatvol

geraldm24

Week 3 submission: Red

Inspiration for this week's theme wasn't hard to find... red and cycling (my favourite colour and sport). Today was our provincial road cycling championships, to be followed by National Championships in three weeks time. Our club race team is known as THE RED TRAIN, although the blue in the kit has been converted to red, to further enhance the theme of this week's challenge.
The Red Train