A couple of quick questions...

Ripeart

When you put your camera in your bag, let's say until the next session, how far do you break it down? Do you remove the lens and cover the lens mount? Are you removing the rubber viewfinder... piece? How about when you remove your external flash, do you replace the little shoe cover? Do you remove your tripod mount? Just curious to know what level of care is common.

I use a D5100. I have a lot to learn however I predict I'll outgrow, possibly as soon as a year or so. If that time were now, I may upgrade to a D300 however who knows what will be available or a bargain in a year's time. In between now and then I know I'll buy a few more lenses, however I don't want to have to buy these all over again when I upgrade my camera body! So, the D5100 has no AF motor, so by extension is it safe to assume my lenses do? (Check sig for equipment list)

What do you think my best bet is purchasing lenses and knowing I will be upgrading later? Why would one want to upgrade to format larger than DX?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

I don't use the rubber cup, don't use a shoe cover. I typically keep my 18-200 on the D300, it sits in my bag lens down. I leave my tripod mount on the body. My second body is usually lens-less and I mount what I need and put it back when done. I recommend if you are planning to change Body type don't buy too many lenses. If you have the need buy used that way you probably won't lose much upon resale.

Browncoat

The pockets in my bag are set up so that my 70-200mm lens stays attached to the body. I have found that keeping the heaviest lens attached and down the center of the bag (mine is a backpack) helps distribute the weight better than having it off to the side. Other lenses not in use are capped at both ends, always.

I remove the eyepiece only when cleaning the viewfinder, which is generally weekly or as needed.

I always keep the hot shoe cover on when a flash is not attached. That's a metal contact in there, and it can easily get dirty or exposed to the elements.

And yes, if I'm not using my camera or uploading pics on the PC, it's in the bag. It gets a lot less dusty that way.

Ripeart

Thanks for your replies. Especially the advice about buying used lenses. I learned today that Nikon is forcing all their retailers to fixed price points for some of their products. Thankfully the D300 is not under such restrictions and the store I patronize is willing to price match from reputable dealers.