filters

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think you'll have to put them on, shoot pictures with them and make your own mind about where and why use them.
Filters do not make magic happen. They serve a function and create atmosphere (soft filter). Depending on lighting conditions, they can be great, so so, or plain bad. That's where your personal taste and trial and error will come in.
Play with them and let us know what YOU think.

silvertip

I don't know what other filters you may own but in my opinion the filters that you mention would be fun to play with. I would rather have good protection filters (UV, skylight, etc) and a circular polarized filter. Just my opinion. Enjoy what you have and learn how to use what you have.

fotojack

There are no right and wrong filters. They all serve a purpose, which is determined by you. Like Marcel said, it's really a trial and error thing until you get the results you're looking for. Filters are subjective. Some like them, some don't. It all depends on what you're working on.........portraits, landscapes, wildlife, etc. I hope this answers your question, and sorry if we didn't come up with an instant answer. :)

stamatisg2002

Can I ask a question guys? In D3100, if I put a circular polarized filter, doesn't it's effectiveness change with the focusing movement of the lens?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Can I ask a question guys? In D3100, if I put a circular polarized filter, doesn't it's effectiveness change with the focusing movement of the lens?

It all depends on the lens used. Some lens have the front part rotating when focusing. With these, the orientation of the polarizer moves too and it does change the effect.
If you have a lens which front does not move (internal focusing) then it doesn't matter.

Will V|Photography

The CPL I have has the lens element separate from the threaded part so that even though the lens rotates to AF, you can still spin the polarized lens itself to achieve your desired effect.

Just-Clayton

when i first got my camera. i bought a bunch of used filters. havent tried them all out yet. some i did try i didnt like. i do use the polarizer quite a bit for window shots and waterfalls. when i do close up shots of bugs i dont use any filter. camera has a hard time focusing.