18-200mm lens?

*bump*

I'm looking to buy a new 18-200mm lens for my D3100 but the Nikon lenses seem prohibitively expensive. Has anyone bought/used and therefore may recommend either the Sigma or Tamron lenses instead?

*bump*

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Welcome to the site :) Yes, you will find that, depending on the focal length and aperture, that Nikon lenses can be extremely expensive. The Sigma and Tamron equivalents are almost always cheaper. The main difference you'll see is the aperture at 200mm. For example, the Nikon is 5.6 @ 200mm where the Sigma and Tamron are 6.3. The other difference is the quality of the vibration reduction. Better VR can be very useful in handheld situations. Will you notice the difference? Maybe, but that depends on your experience and what you are ultimately looking to achieve.

I assume you want a lens with this much diversity because you want something that is portable and don't want to change lenses often? The alternative, besides getting a Sigma or Tamron is sticking with your kit lens and getting the Nikon 55-200mm or 55-300mm, which is much cheaper. I have both but I prefer the 55-300.

*bump*

Thanks!

You assumed right - I only have one camera body and would like to avoid having to carry several lenses if I can avoid it. I'll mostly be using the lens for wedding (and general) photography, and don't want to miss a shot because I'm changing the lens.

Rick M

I think for weddings you will need at least 2 lenses. Even with a 18-200, with the crop factor you're not going to have enough room indoors for wide group shots. You're not going to find one lens at any price to go from a true wide (say under 16mm) to a zoom at 200-300 mm. As jdeg said, the most cost effective option would be to compliment your kit lens with a zoom.

You could keep the number of lenses down by getting a wide (11-16 or 10-24)) and one of the super zooms to cover the rest , but that's allot of $$!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruidoso Bill

I have used the 18-200 for weddings, actually if I could only use one lens that would be my choice, I do carry a second body with usually a 28 mm.

Mark E

If I could only have one lens, It would be the 18-200. My favorite. Probally use it more than all the rest put together.

Blinkey

Oops...Up to Late....That was a 55-200mm not the 18-200....Sorry...That would have beed a GREAT price thought.....

I sent a post stating it was $134 on ebay...(Sorry about that)

Last edited:

*bump*

Thanks for all the advices, peoples.

I'm toying with the idea of getting an 18-105 as a compromise (price-wise means I can get a Nikon lens instead of a third party).

It is my birthday today though, so maybe I can push my luck a little when it comes to choosing my birthday present!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for all the advices, peoples.

I'm toying with the idea of getting an 18-105 as a compromise (price-wise means I can get a Nikon lens instead of a third party).

It is my birthday today though, so maybe I can push my luck a little when it comes to choosing my birthday present!

The 18-105 is a great lens and quite a bargain for what it is capable of. It's quite sharp and has VR. I've done great shot with it.

AxeMan - Rick S.

+1 on the 18-105

If it was me, I go with the 18-105 and hold out for a 300mm zoom. Most people including myself get the 55-200mm zoom and want more reach. I have a 55-200mm in my bag, and I can't tell you the last time myself or my wife put it on either one of our camera's. We have a 300mm zoom.

Just my opinion

BTW Happy birthday

Rick & Chris

Last edited:

fotojack

Yup.........get the 18-105. Great lens to walk around with, and it's cheap! Save your money for a longer reach lens, like the 55-300 or even a 70-300. Patience will eventually get you what you want. :)

Happy Birthday. Enjoy the day. :)

*bump*

Thanks for all the advice guys.

As of 11:30 GMT today I am the proud new owner of an 18-200mm Nikon lens. mr*bump* went all out for my birthday/Diwali/Christmas/the next 10 gift giving occasions!

Blinkey

Mr Bump.......thanks for a "FINE EXAMPLE" of the art of the deal....Congrats...Let us know how the lens is working for you...

fotojack says "Patience will eventually get you what you want."....I like your approach much better....LOL...Enjoy

*bump*

Thank you all so much for the advice - I am now the proud owner of a Nikkor 18-200mm lens! I took it with me on holiday recently and had lots of fun with it Now all I need is an external flash...!

fotojack

Seems to me the consensus was for you to get the 18-105! lol Oh well. Enjoy the 18-200. :) If we suggest the SB-700 for a flash, you'd probably get the SB-800, right? :)

*bump*

Which is what I would have gone with if I was paying, but I'd directed mr*bump* to this thread and got the 18-200 as a gift :)

Actually it was the SB-700 I wanted, so watch this space!!