Bellows, extensions, lens

RobHD

information overload , I'm really enjoying do the close up photography of late and have been looking at a way of getting closer.

whilst at work I've been doing some reading up on this matter and as i can really afford a proper macro lens right now and christmas is coming i was going to ask my parents for either, bellows or extension rings.

now the bellows will lose all electronics from camera to lens and i goes thats great in a studio or lab were you have time to set stuff up.

but I've seen the extensions with the couplings for AF, metering and so on and they seem reasonably priced.

i looked at the Kenko ones which are around £100 new and some Meike that look exactly like the kenko ones at around £30-50.

so apart from getting a dedicated macro lens are the extensions any good that have the couplings as well as having the metal attachments?

nickt

They are good. I have not used one in many years so I don't have any specific comments. I think some guys here have the Kenkos. Just in case you missed it in your research, the thing to be aware of with extensions is that you lose your distance focus. It becomes a close range only setup. That may be fine for you but its nice to have a fully functional lens on your camera in case you see something bigger than a bug while you are out.

nzswift

You'll need/want to focus manually so AF compatibility is a catch phrase but not necessary at all. Any extension will still meter correctly