F1 Film Lenses with Full Frame Nikon DSLRs?

KenO

Have been thinking about a new full frame Nikon DSLR and would like to use older F1 Film Lenses with it.

Recently read this "Images fed to digital sensors must be made up of rays hitting photoreceptors as close to perpendicular as possible. Film cameras did not have such problems: film is cheap and it is sensitive to light no matter its direction."

As a result did a search using [F1 film lenses with full frame Nikon DSLR] but did not find anything relevant with "..." got

No results found for "F1 film lenses with full frame Nikon DSLR".

Am very interested in any ones actual experience using F1 film lenses with full frame Nikon DSLRs.

Thanks

Ken

LensWork

I have never had any issues with the image quality when using Nikon lenses made originally for film cameras on DSLR bodies.

Also, not sure what an "F1 film lens" is. The top-of-the-line Canon manual-focus camera in the '70's-'80's was the F1.

KenO

Hi LensWork,

Sorry to confuse you, was asleep when posted. I should have said Nikon 35mm SLR film F-mount lenses Nikon F-mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"I have never had any issues with the image quality when using Nikon lenses made originally for film cameras"

What lenses are you using? Any favorites?

Also which full frame Nikon DSLR(s) are you using them with?

Thanks

Ken

LensWork

I have used many different manual-focus Nikkors on DSLRs: 24mm f/2.8 (converted to AI), 35mm f/1.4 (converted to AI), 55mm f/2.8 Micro, 85mm f/1.8 (converted to AI), 105mm f/2.5 (converted to AI), 135mm f/2.0, 180mm f/2.8 ED, 300mm f/2.8 IF-ED, 300mm f/4.5 IF-ED. All have provided excellent image quality on both FX and DX bodies. The 35mm f/1.4 is a bit soft wide-open, but is it that way on film too.

KenO

Hi LensWork,

Noticed all the Nikkors you listed are primes.

Do you have any Zooms?

Thanks again for your comments.

Ken

LensWork

All of my manual focus Nikkors are primes. I have several AF Zoom Nikkors: AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8, AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8 & AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8, all of which were manufactured in the "digital age" (1999-present).

KenO

Hi LensWork,

"All of my manual focus Nikkors are primes. I have several AF Zoom Nikkors: AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8, AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8 & AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8, all of which were manufactured in the "digital age" (1999-present)."

Reason am asking all these questions is that I have No full frame Nikon lenses at present.

Have been reading everything I can find and am still very undecided what to do because I like the convenience of a Zoom but do not know how much will be trading off. Also really do not want to carry around a number of primes.

Have been using a friends D 60 DX Nikon w kit 18-55 VR lens and really like the sharpness and VR aspect which are confirmed in the reviews.

Also the D60 only has a 10 MP sensor vs 24.5 MP for the D3X.

From your posts, my conclusion is that you like least some of the older primes but like the newer zooms.

Please correct me if I am wrong

Thanks again for all your help!

Ken

LensWork

Hi LensWork,

From your posts, my conclusion is that you like least some of the older primes but like the newer zooms.

Please correct me if I am wrong

Thanks again for all your help!

Ken

You are not wrong. I have been a Nikon shooter since 1977. It is only in the last 15-20 years that the image quality of zooms have begun to approach that of prime lenses. Also, 30 years ago fast (f/2.8) zooms were virtually unheard of.

KenO

As mentioned "Have been using a friends D 60 DX Nikon w kit 18-55 VR lens and really like the sharpness and VR" The only thing I do not like about it (and All DX Lenses) It is not a 18-55mm Lens but really ~27-83mm. There are times when I would really like to have ~ 18mm option.

Since you have a number of AF Zoom Nikkors is there one you generally use? If so which one?

Ken

LensWork

The only thing I do not like about it (and All DX Lenses) It is not a 18-55mm Lens but really ~27-83mm. There are times when I would really like to have ~ 18mm option.

A lens with a focal length of 18mm is an 18mm lens regardless of the format that it is being used with. What changes is the apparent angle-of-view. When we say that an 18-55mm is really a 27-83mm what we are saying is that an 18-55mm lens when used on a DX format camera would give approximately the same angle-of-view as a 27-83mm would on a 35mm film (or FX format DSLR) camera since that is the format that most are familiar with and can relate to. But this is really just technical semantics, I understand what you mean. To get the same angle-of-view on a DX format camera as an 18mm would on an FX body, you would need a 12mm lens, and they are made, such as the AF-S DX 12-24mm.

Since you have a number of AF Zoom Nikkors is there one you generally use? If so which one?

Ken

It all depends. I will usually keep the 17-35mm on one body, and the 80-200mm on another. If I am carrying just one body, the 28-70mm usually gets the nod.

Last edited:

KenO

LensWork,

Since last post found this. "Get over buying a midrange zoom today. This isn't as bad as you think. Few, if any, pros use mid-range zooms. Most use a wide zoom and a tele zoom, and maybe drop a 50mm in their pocket for low light.
Even at f/2.8, the $1,700 24-70mm AFS is nowhere near as good in low light as the $120 50mm f/1.8D. Try it and see."
Nikon FX Lenses

Do you agree?

Ken

Last edited: