D500 has a 1.3 crop factor in the menu

grandpaw

I discovered today on the D500 that if you go to the "Photo shooting menu" and then go down to "Choose image area" at the bottom of the first page you can change your camera to a 1.3 crop factor effectively giving your 600mm lens the field of view of a 1170mm lens on a full frame.

Last edited:

nikonpup

i like the 1.3 crop on my d7100. A big plus is i can shoot a lot of frames fast and the crop frame in the viewfinder helps me to keep centered on the subject.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I can't imagine any situations when the D500 buffer isn't plenty big enough at full resolution. That's assuming that you are using an XQD card, of course.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Shooting 14-bit .NEFs?

200 shots, 20 seconds of continuous shots at 10fps. Even with 1.3 crop mode, the camera will stop at 200, it's a limit built into the camera. Wait a second and you can start firing away again. So, yeah, I think that covers most any situation I can think of. :)

480sparky

200 shots, 20 seconds of continuous shots at 10fps. Even with 1.3 crop mode, the camera will stop at 200, it's a limit built into the camera. Wait a second and you can start firing away again. So, yeah, I think that covers most any situation I can think of. :)

Now turn on Auto Distortion Control, High ISO Noise Reduction.................. and Active D-Lighting.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Now turn on Auto Distortion Control, High ISO Noise Reduction.................. and Active D-Lighting.

LOL. Why would I do that? Not much need for distortion control or Active-D lighting when shooting a flying bird or a running linebacker. High ISO noise reduction, I suppose, might help in low light. I never use it, though. :)

I understand your point, I just don't think wildlife or sports photographers are ever going to encounter a buffer issue with the D500 at normal resolution. There may be other reasons to use the 1.3 crop, but not for worry of running out of buffer space, IMO.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Jeff, how are you liking the autofocus on the D500? I have found a small but still significant improvement in focus accuracy and speed over my D7200.

480sparky

LOL. Why would I do that? Not much need for distortion control or Active-D lighting when shooting a flying bird or a running linebacker. High ISO noise reduction, I suppose, might help in low light. I never use it, though. :)

I understand your point, I just don't think wildlife or sports photographers are ever going to encounter a buffer issue with the D500 at normal resolution. There may be other reasons to use the 1.3 crop, but not for worry of running out of buffer space, IMO.

I don't have much use for a set of golf clubs either, but that doesn't dismiss the existence of golf courses.

grandpaw

I took this photo to try out the 600mm end of my Tamron handheld at the 1.3 crop factor giving me effectively 1170mm . This was shot at 1/6 sec handheld without any bracing. I do have fairly steady hands.

_5000947.jpg

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Unless you're on a tripod or otherwise dealing with a fixed subject for a long time then cropping in camera is a complete waste - particularly with the D500. Sparky, you can turn on damn near everything and I dare you to come up with a real world situation where you're using a decent XQD card, hitting the 200 frame stop, and filling up the buffer so you can't immediately start shooting again, that altering the crop factor will fix in any meaningful way.

For me the only time in-camera cropping makes sense is if you're beyond your reach and shooting JPEGs that are getting transferred as is with minimal to no editing. If you're shooting RAW it's completely unnecessary because you're going to have do at least something in post so you might as well crop too (you can program a 1.3X crop in a preset and apply it at import if even that is too much work for you. LOL).

480sparky

........ Sparky, you can turn on damn near everything and I dare you to come up with a real world situation where you're using a decent XQD card, hitting the 200 frame stop, and filling up the buffer so you can't immediately start shooting again, that altering the crop factor will fix in any meaningful way...........

Send me a D500 with a XQD card and I'll try it out. :D