Group or D25 for B I F

canuck257

I would be interested in some personal opinions on these two a/f settings and how they relate to B I F shooting. I have read and understand the differences between the two but am curious to know what individual experience has indicated is the preferred option and why.:confused:

Blacktop

I would be interested in some personal opinions on these two a/f settings and how they relate to B I F shooting. I have read and understand the differences between the two but am curious to know what individual experience has indicated is the preferred option and why.:confused:
I have tried it all . D750, Nikon 200-500mm.
For me Single works the best and get more keepers with that.
My second choice would be D9.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Roy1961

Contributor
up until last week i only used single, i tried 9 points to see what the difference was, so so, back on single.

I have tried it all . D750, Nikon 200-500mm.
For me Single works the best and get more keepers with that.
My second choice would be D9.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

up until last week i only used single, i tried 9 points to see what the difference was, so so, back on single.

and using BBF as i am sure Pete is too.

I use BBF which is the most important point. I have tried all the focus modes at one time or another. I almost always shoot single point.

kevy73

I use D9 pretty much exclusively. The only time it doesn't work is if I am doing some funky composition and the focus point is outside the focus boundary, then I flick to single, focus and then compose, but all my other shots are 100% D9 and BBF and I move the centre point around with my thumb to put it over the eye each time.

I use D9 pretty much exclusively. The only time it doesn't work is if I am doing some funky composition and the focus point is outside the focus boundary, then I flick to single, focus and then compose, but all my other shots are 100% D9 and BBF and I move the centre point around with my thumb to put it over the eye each time.

Kind of hard to do with BIF. The birds tend to fly a little to fast for that

canuck257

I'm using BBF and Single Point mainly. I have the "joystick" press programmed for BBF also with D25 which gives me a very flexible set of options. I am tempted by Group but put off by it's tendency to focus on the closest point which, with large birds, is often not the eye. I am just curious to know whether my reasoning for not using Group is sound.

I'm using BBF and Single Point mainly. I have the "joystick" press programmed for BBF also with D25 which gives me a very flexible set of options. I am tempted by Group but put off by it's tendency to focus on the closest point which, with large birds, is often not the eye. I am just curious to know whether my reasoning for not using Group is sound.

My problem when I have tried it is the birds tend to fly behind things like other birds and it confuses the focus point. Also I have quit trying to focus on the eye. I am just not that accurate in pointing my camera at a bird in flight. I generally shoot at a small enough aperture so that as much of the bird is in focus to include the eye.

Scott Murray

My problem when I have tried it is the birds tend to fly behind things like other birds and it confuses the focus point. Also I have quit trying to focus on the eye. I am just not that accurate in pointing my camera at a bird in flight. I generally shoot at a small enough aperture so that as much of the bird is in focus to include the eye.
I am for the neck of the bird this is more or less in line with the eye of the bird :)