auto iso on manual with the d500 awesome for birds

egosbar

never used auto iso on the d7100 , had easy iso set to scroll wheel so didnt really need to
set auto iso on manual so i can control both shutter and aperture and iso can please itself up to 6400 might drop it back to 3200 but want the shutter speeds for fast birds , it trys to keep the lowest iso possible so very easy to control and if theres no other choice id rather have a pic at 6400 then none
i was waiting for this on to fly to test the group focus mode so set shutter on 32oo f6.3 with the nikon 70-300vr g 4.5-5.6 at 300mm , could of shot it on 200-400 iso but wanted the flight , turned my head for a second and he was gone lol , ran a texture and masked the bird back as the backround was nearly white

looks cleaner full image , it was heavily cropped so im stoked with the d500 and cant wait to put a 200-500 on it , should have one in my kit sometime next year
EGO_0219-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

Danno

I use auto ISO a lot for birds and such. I like to keep my shutter speed up in the 1200 range and finding birds in Light and Dark back grounds makes it a lot easier. I use it whenever I am shooting in changing light. I set every thing else manually.

egosbar

yeah for sure , used to turn me off a little that i shot shutter priority and couldnt change aperture , now shooting in manual with auto iso i can change both its brilliant