Slow/slower/slowest card reader in a long time?

GracieAllen

YEAH, I know this is a MINOR annoyance and the equivalent of complaining about the "cold peas", but I expect better from Lexar.

Got the D500. Bought one of the 128GB LEXAR 2933X XQD cards. AND the special, super-duper, just for the XQD card, LEXAR card reader.

Camera is good. Card is good. Yes, you CAN hold down the button and dump 100 or 150 shots in the buffer and have them cleared to the car VERY quickly...

Unfortunately, then it becomes time to move the images from the card to the computer......... I've done this on the desktop, through a USB3 connection onto an SSD, and I've done this on the Alienware laptop, through a USB3 connection onto an SSD. In BOTH cases the card reader never gets past 40MB, and often is slower than that. My $6, el cheapo USB3 card reader that's used with my "normal" Lexar CF cards on the D810 runs anywhere from THREE TO FOUR TIMES this fast. Easily get 120 MB and often get over 160 MB with that.

Does anyone else see such slow read times for this card reader? Is it just dog slow? Or what?

Anyhow, I'm gonna shoot 'em an email and see what Lexar says.

Fred Kingston

Do some research on Card Readers and USB 2.0 and 3.0 specs. You'll quickly see that almost no manufacturer gets even close to the specs. for USB... and it's even worse with carder readers...

When you get done with that, then you can research the driver universe that interfaces between your computer, its OS, and the card readers...

I remember when Sears Roebuck used to advertise their gasoline engines as having 13hp, and laughing...

GracieAllen

Hm... I"m not sure how researching card readers impacts anecdotal information - as I originally said, I can SEE the throughput rate for a generic $8 USB3 card reader with an older Lexar 1000X CF and COMPARE it to the throughput of the Lexar reader with the XQD card - 2933X card that would seem to be capable of much higher throughput than my older equipment. Thank you for your feedback, but I believe I'll pass on "researching the driver universe" that interfaces anything...

BTW: An email to Lexar received a reply that indeed there HAVE BEEN some throughput problems, and recommended I contact my seller to have the reader replaced...

TKC_D500

Hm... I"m not sure how researching card readers impacts anecdotal information - as I originally said, I can SEE the throughput rate for a generic $8 USB3 card reader with an older Lexar 1000X CF and COMPARE it to the throughput of the Lexar reader with the XQD card - 2933X card that would seem to be capable of much higher throughput than my older equipment. Thank you for your feedback, but I believe I'll pass on "researching the driver universe" that interfaces anything...

BTW: An email to Lexar received a reply that indeed there HAVE BEEN some throughput problems, and recommended I contact my seller to have the reader replaced...

I had the same problem, got the same response, had mine replaced by Amazon, and it didn't help. Maybe I should try again...

GracieAllen

Me too. I think my expectations of Lexar may have been too high. For now, I'll just let it ramble along and wait for somebody to come out with another $8 or $10 card reader that includes an XQD reader and get one of those.

John 475

Same thing here. Importing into Lightroom 6.7 on Mac 3-4 times slower than files from Sony A77 II.Pretty annoying to say the least :(((

Update: Seems that problem was with one of the USB ports on my monitor. I'm getting 40-48 MB/s during copying and importing into Lightroom is now OK.

Last edited: