Nikon D3300 new user and lens sizes!

cheztaz

Hello there,

I am new to the forums and new to photography, so thought I would join, as its something I have always had an interest in, and think I will find the forums very useful and informative as I develop into Photography.

I have a Nikon D3300 and have recently bought a Tamron AF70-300mm zoom Lens as it advised it fitted the Nikon D3300. It was also within my affordability range and received good reviews. It has now arrived, but have realised that I have a 55mm thread and the lens has a 62mm thread. Is there such thing as a converter for the lens sizes please? I cannot afford a new Nikon lens at present, and thought i would try the Tamron until I can afford to but a better lens.

Many thanks for any assistance in advance.
:)

Danno

Hello there,

I am new to the forums and new to photography, so thought I would join, as its something I have always had an interest in, and think I will find the forums very useful and informative as I develop into Photography.

I have a Nikon D3300 and have recently bought a Tamron AF70-300mm zoom Lens as it advised it fitted the Nikon D3300. It was also within my affordability range and received good reviews. It has now arrived, but have realised that I have a 55mm thread and the lens has a 62mm thread. Is there such thing as a converter for the lens sizes please? I cannot afford a new Nikon lens at present, and thought i would try the Tamron until I can afford to but a better lens.

Cheztaz,
First I would like to welcome you to the forum. I think you will like it here. Lots of good information. On your lens.... Tamron makes lenses for a lot of camera bodies. Did you confirm that the lens you bought was for a Nikon and not a Canon or some other brand mount. My Tamron lenses all have "for Nikon" on the box. If it is a new lens you should be able to compare. I would confirm that and consult the manual for the camera to make sure that you are attempting to mount it correctly. I know when I first started that was the first thing I had to figure out because for me it was not intuitive.

If you do have the wrong mount you do not have to get an adapter. You should be able to exchange it for the correct mount. I am sure others will chime in, on this.

Kevin H

Hello there,

That's just filter size for the front of the lens( I assume you have the 18-55 kit lens) the rear needs to be F mount for Nikon BTW the manual is a good read :D

cheztaz

That's just filter size for the front of the lens( I assume you have the 18-55 kit lens) the rear needs to be F mount for Nikon BTW the manual is a good read :D

Ahhh..thank you. I did not know that. The lens which came with the camera says the following:

Nikon DX VR - AF-P Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G if that is any help. The one which was delivered says: Tamron AF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 A17..if that helps

Horoscope Fish

Ahhh..thank you. I did not know that. The lens which came with the camera says the following:

Nikon DX VR - AF-P Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G if that is any help. The one which was delivered says: Tamron AF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 A17..if that helps
Try mounting the lens you have on your D3300, it should fit just fine. The dimensions you are asking about are for filters, which is something entirely different.

cheztaz

Try mounting the lens you have on your D3300, it should fit just fine. The dimensions you are asking about are for filters, which is something entirely different.

Thank you....the Nikkor lens fits fine as that came with the camera - the Tamron lens - the box says Canon - so think they have sent me the wrong one. I will wait and see what they say. Friend just tried and again, connection end looks too large for the camera and compared to the Nikkor lens looks totally different.

RocketCowboy

Thank you....the Nikkor lens fits fine as that came with the camera - the Tamron lens - the box says Canon - so think they have sent me the wrong one. I will wait and see what they say. Friend just tried and again, connection end looks too large for the camera and compared to the Nikkor lens looks totally different.

If the box reads Canon, it sounds like the sent the wrong mount and would need to swap that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horoscope Fish

That's happened to me before and yes, you will need to send that lens back and get the correct mount for your Nikon.

cheztaz

Morning All,

Thank you so much for your help. I received an email from the seller, and they have said they have sent the wrong one. Sent me a pre paid return label, and as soon as I post this one back, they will send the correct one!

Thanks again

TKC_D500

Welcome and congrats on beginning your photography journey! You picked a great camera to start it with. Remember, rule #1 is Get out and Shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk